I didn't tell her the truth about what happened between Amaris and me.

I came up with a story about chemistry class and getting too close to the burners. She believed me, well I think she believed me. I try not to lie to her often.

"Yes, I'm fine." I sighed "Now what do you want."

She looked at me skeptically, like she didn't believe me. I could see it in her eye, the same question she had been asking ever since that night.

"Are you sure because -" Before she could finish I interrupted her

"I promise I'm fine," I tell. It wasn't technically a lie because I am fine, just not her definition of it.

I could tell she still didn't believe me but she didn't push any further.

"Ok well good because I was wondering if you could still take me to school early to set everything up. You know for the student council meeting." She said

Sadie was crazy smart, she even skipped a grade and became student council president as a freshman.

"Yeah, I promise, didn't I? I never break promises, especially with you" I said

Sadie and I have been attached to the hip ever since she was born. I would do anything for her, she's my best friend even if she is younger than me.

"Go wait in the car," I said as I grabbed my keys off my dresser and threw them to her. "I'll be down there in a sec"

I grabbed some clothes and took a quick shower. I made it downstairs just in time to walk out the door or so I thought.

"Soren. Honey, could you come here real quick?" My mother said

I turn around to see her sitting at the dinner table. I walked fast just so I could get the conversation over with.

"Oh, honey is hand alright?" She said " I still don't understand what happened"

"I told you," I said quickly "It was just another accident. I'm okay."

"Well, that's great." She sighed happily. "So I'm gonna need you to watch your sister tonight, while your dad and I have a date night, ok sweetie"

She didn't even wait for me to say yes before she got up and left. My mother, Melissa, antics were not something I was shocked by, she had been like this since I was a kid.

She never truly cared about my well-being, it just needed to seem like she did. She only cared about herself.

"Sure Mom. I would love to" I whispered

I didn't dwell on the conversation and hurried to my car. I had other things on my mind.

The drive to the school wasn't that long and I pulled up to the school. I parked in the parking lot and saw that it was almost empty, the only things occupying the spaces were teacher's cars.

This was perfect I needed to ease my mind and there's one place at the school where I can do just that.

"Mom and Dad are having a date night, so you are stuck with me," I said turning to face Sadie

"Really," she said excitedly "Can Lauren come over? I promise we'll stay away from the stove."

Lauren was Sadie's other best friend. When Sadie is going through something and I can't help her, I know Lauren can. She's like family.

"Sure, why not? Just please don't touch the oven, I don't want the fire department to come back." I begged

"I promise. You won't even know we're there" she said as she reached over the console and hugged me. "I'll see you later"