"Come on, we don't wanna be late." MaryLou calmed us all down and promised my mom she'd get me home safe after school tomorrow. As we walked down the sidewalk to the van, Matt bumped my hand with his, which made me feel a weird feeling in my stomach.

"Sorry," He apologized and made more space between us, "I wasn't trying to hold your hand," I looked at him, feeling my face get warm, "We're you trying to hold mine?" My eyes widened and my lips slightly parted.

"No way." I lied.

-Or when he was my date to prom...every year-

*throwback*
Matt's pov

Y/n walked out her front door and down the steps of her porch dressed in a floor length red dress, her hair lightly curled and the prettiest smile on her face. She walked slow, her hand holding onto the railing so she wouldn't trip.

"Dude," Nick got my attention quietly and I pulled myself out of the trance I was in, "Go help her."

"Right," I nervously stopped her and locked our arms together, "You'd think after four proms I'd remember to help you down the stairs."

"Yeah, well, sophomore year you let me fall so," She chuckled and held tightly onto my arm, "At least this year you remembered to match." Once we reached solid ground, she fixed my red tie. I caught myself looking down at her, watching as her eyelashes fluttered when she blinked. I've never notice quite how beautiful she is and all the little details that stood out to me.

"Smile!" Sue, her mom, exclaimed as she held her phone up in front of us. Chris and Nick stood behind her and made faces to get us to laugh. Y/n's hand rested in the middle of my chest as she leaned forward, a laugh escaping her, which made her smile ear to ear.

"Assholes!" She scolded once she caught her breath.

"Language!" Sue smacked her hand and stepped aside so my mom could get some pictures of us. I felt so comfortable around Y/n, almost like I was meant to be standing next to her all these years.

"Alright, come on, lovebirds!" Chris clapped his hands together and motioned towards the van, "Kiss later!"

"What? We weren't gonn-Chris, I'm gonna kill you!" I felt the nervousness creep up on me and ran towards him and jokingly tackled him into the door of the van.

*present day*
Y/n's pov

-Now that we're both twenty, our parents still say we're going to end up getting married to one another-

"Mom!" I whined, "Stop asking if we're together! We're not!" I giggled and finished frosting a Christmas cookie. The Sturniolo family invites us to celebrate every holiday with them annually, and every year we bring our famous cookies.

"Humor me, Y/n!" She playfully nudged my shoulder as she took another pan of cookies out of the oven, "I see the way that young man looks at you. He's in looove."

"He is not in love," I rolled my eyes and stuck the butter knife back in the frosting, "He's my best friend." The doorbell rang as I wiped my hands and I threw the towel back onto the counter, then made my way to the front door, "Matt? Hey, I didn't know you were coming over."

"You would if you answered your phone," He waved his hand in the air and then slid it into his pocket, "I wanna help decorate cookies." With an adorable childish grin on his lips, he entered the house and took his shoes off. It wasn't unusual for Matt or either of his brothers to randomly show up at my house, they've been doing it our entire lives, and vise versa.

"Matthew!" My mother cheered and pulled him into a hug, wiggling her eyebrows at me over his shoulder, "Couldn't wait to see your girl or what?" She teased. I saw his face get red and hid mine before either of them could notice and call me out.

"Kind of," He chuckled, "I'm mostly here for first dibs on these," He grabbed a cookie and took a big bite, practically melting over the taste, "These are still the best cookies I've ever had." His words were muffled by the food in his mouth.

"Matthew, it's not polite to talk with your mouth full," I mocked the same saying my mom used to tell us when we were kids, "Share. I haven't tried them yet." He held the cookie he was eating up and I took a small bite of it, immediately sending my mom a thumbs up.

"I'm gonna go call MaryLou and make sure she doesn't need help for tonight," My mom winked at me, "You two can finish the last batch, yeah?"

"We got it, Mrs. L/n," Matt replied sweetly. She wasted no time scurrying out of the room, knowing I knew her devious little plan, "What's next?"

"We just gotta frost these, then we're done," I pointed to the pan of cookies on the stove, "They're probably cool enough by now." I lightly touched the top of one and by the temperature knew they were fine to start decorating.

"Can I make a snowman?" Matt grabbed the white pipette of frosting and held it up.

"Only if I can add the hat," I grabbed the black dyed frosting and together we began decorating, "That's not even a circle!" I laughed as Matt did his best to make three white circles for the snowman's body.

"I'm trying my best!" He argued, "You're making me nervous!" I jokingly dropped my frosting and took a step away from him, "Don't even start with that shit. Get back over here."

"Start with what?" I asked dramatically, "I'm not doing anything," I acted clueless and he held the frosting up at me threateningly, "Matthew! I swear to—" In the blink of an eye I was being chased around the island in my kitchen. His laugh echoed off the walls and into my ears like the sweetest symphony. As I rounded the island once more, I was stopped by an arm around my torso.

"You got a little something right...there," I felt frosting get smudged onto my cheek and scrunched my face, "Wait, stay still and let me get it," He couldn't even keep a straight face as I turned and he smeared more onto my nose.

"C'mere," I grabbed his face and rubbed my nose against his, transferring the frosting onto his face, "Now we're matching." When I went to pull away, his hand on my waist tightened and I realized my hands were still gently holding his jaw.

"It's a cute look," He shrugged and licked his lip, which accidentally got frosting on it, "Want some?" He chuckled.

"Matthew Bernard. Are you attempting to flirt with me?" I asked in slight disbelief. There's always been a type of spark, but we ruled it out and called ourselves best friends so we didn't ruin anything between us.

"I'm just asking if you want some frosting," He grinned at me innocently and looked down to my lips, then back up to my eyes. I responded with the action of closing the gap and pressing my lips against his, the sweet flavor of the frosting making its way into my mouth.

"Matt," I pulled away and rested my hands onto his chest, "Can I ask you something and you answer honestly?" He nodded his head, "Are we really just best friends?"

"You've always been more than that, Y/n," His response made the corners of my lips tug into a smile as he placed another kiss onto them.

I guess you could say our love was inevitable.

———

:))))