Chapter 1: The beginning

Scott hears a noise outside and pauses to listen for danger

Scott hears a noise outside and pauses to listen for danger. The scene cuts to the front porch, where Scott, now in a red hoodie, walks outside with a wooden baseball bat in hand as he investigates what is causing the noise.

Suddenly, a figure appears hanging from the roof, and Scott yelps in terror, almost hitting the person in the face with his bat until he realizes that it is Hope Stilinski, his best friend, who is yelping just as loudly.

"Ahh!"

Scott huffs in frustration and annoyance before lowering his bat. "Hope, what the hell are doing here?!"

"You weren't answering your phone! Why do you have a bat, hey wait, isn't that mine?" Hope asked, eyeing the bat in his hands.

"Oh my God! It is!" Hope exclaimed, hitting Scott's shoulder, who yelped.

"Ow!"

"I thought you were a predator! And maybe." Scott huffed.

"What? I feel so offended!" Hope exclaimed, dramatically.

Hope looks at Scott, clearly offended by the implication, before scoffing and changing the subject to why she's there.

"Look, I know it's late, but you gotta hear this. I saw my dad leave twenty minutes ago. Dispatch called-- they're bringing in every officer from the Beacon Department, and even state police."

"You listen to all his phone calls?" Sam asked.

Hope scoffed. "Nah, I just listen to the important ones."

"Right."

"For what?" Scott frowned.

Hope has difficulty concealing her glee regarding her answer. "Two joggers found a body in the woods."

"Sorry." Hope apologized to Derek as she heard how it sounded.

"It's alright." Derek replied.

Reaching up to pull herself free of the trellis, Hope lands on her feet in front of Scott, who still looks confused.

"What, a dead body?"

"Okay, yeah. Stupid question." Scott put his hands up in offense.

Hope reaches up and leans on the railing to look at Scott at eye-level with a sarcastic expression. "No, a body of water." She rolls her eyes. "Yes, dumbass, a dead body!"

Scott looks unnerved about this news as Hope climbs over the railing to join him on the porch.

"You mean, like, murdered?"

"Nobody knows yet. Just that it was a girl, probably in her twenties." Hope replied.

"Hold on, if they found the body, then what are they looking for?" Scott questioned, confused.