A Ride to the Airship City

Everything had been still and static for so long, but then out of nowhere I felt the wind-up key on my back turn and the world around me came rushing into motion.

"...find you, Ollie," I said, finishing up the sentence I had been in the middle of saying when I had wound completely down.

"Wot have we here?" a gravelly voice said as I felt myself being picked up off the ground.

I got spun around and found myself staring into the face of a grizzled looking man dressed in a ratty vest and a ruffled shirt that was covered in numerous patches. He had a top hat with goggles strapped to it, although one of the lenses was cracked and broken. His cheeks and neck sported tufts of unruly gray hair, although he sported a surprisingly well-groomed mustache and chin beard, both of which appeared to have been dyed black. He wore long black boots that were splattered in mud and the tops of them were thinning and on the verge of becoming filled with holes.

"You look like some sort of clockwork bunny rabbit, if I'm not mistaken," the man rubbed his chin and peered at him carefully.

"My name is Nub-Nub. I'm a toy. I belong to Oliver Charles Basilworth III. He's gone up to the Airship City in the sky to live with his grandparents after his mommy and daddy disappeared. He didn't mean to leave me behind. They rushed him out of the house without giving him time to pack up his things. Please, good sir. Can you help me? I'm worried about Ollie and I'm sure he misses me terribly."

"It speaks!" the man said with a look of astonishment. "I've never heard of a talking toy before. It might be that you could be worth some coinage."

"Please, sir," I said. "I must get up to the Airship City. It's not that far away, but I need a means to fly! Look! There it is right now!"

A shadow fell on us as the Airship City floated by overhead. It was held aloft by numerous large air balloons and moved about by the flapping of a series of gigantic canvas wings. I didn't know anything about the inner workings of the city, but it made loud rattle and banging noises as it passed by and a huge burst of steam blew out of a vent hole in the aft side of it.

"I've never been on an airship before," the man said softly. "They wouldn't have the likes of me on them."

"I've never been on one either," I said. "But my boy is up there and he needs me. Can you help?"

"I am quite familiar with what it's like to lose something that's important to you. I think, perhaps, I might be able to help you, Nub-Nub. My name is Barnaby Longnethers and most people consider me a no account. Truthfully, they're probably right. I've never done anything good for anyone in my whole rotten life. I've always wanted to, though. Just to see what it feels like, if nothing else. Mayhaps this is my chance."

"Oh, bless you, Master Longnethers," I said. "Your act of kindness shan't be forgotten, I assure you!"

"Please, call me Barnaby. And I haven't done anything yet. My neighbor Silas is a toymaker. I was going to sell you to him, but instead I think I'll hit him up for some supplies. The man does owe me a favor, after all. Follow me to his shop!"

*

"I told you not to show your face around here!" Silas the Toymaker shouted as he threw a wooden train at Barnaby's head.

"Come on, Silas, that was all just a misunderstanding!"

"They arrested my Mum because of you! And they can't let her out of her cell because you lost the key!"

"But I stole the key because I was trying to break her out!" Barnaby shouted. "I didn't mean to misplace it! Besides, I said I was sorry!"

"Um, excuse me," I piped up. "I don't mean to interrupt, but my name is Nub-Nub and I'm trying to get back to my boy. Mr. Barnaby said he'd help me and I was wondering if you might help me, too?"

Silas pulled a monocle down over his eye and ratched through several different ones until he settled on one that made his pupil look as big as a dinner plate. He stared at me in astonishment. "My word! A talking toy! Who made you?"

"A fellow from Derbyshire who called himself the Magician," I said. "I'd be happy to tell you everything I know, but it's a bit of a long story and I'm in a bit of a hurry. Ollie's all alone on the Airship City and he needs me! Please, Mr. Silas. Won't you help?"

"I do hate to see a young boy separated from his toy. I'll tell you what, Nub-Nub. If you can get that worthless lump Barnaby to help you out, you're doing better than most folk. You see that bin over there in the corner? It's filled with irregular parts. You're welcome to rummage through it and take whatever you need."

"There's some interesting stuff in here," Barnaby said as he dug around. "I think I can cobble something together that might work."

"As soon as I'm done assembling this set of tin soldiers, I'll lend you a hand," Silas said. "Or at the very least I can inspect that idiot's work."

"I'll have you know I'm actually quite good at building stuff. I apprenticed with an inventor many years ago. Building a small flying contraption is basic stuff. I've built dozens of them. And three or four of them actually worked!" He pulled out handfuls of wheels, cogs, and various sprockets.

"How marvelous!" I shouted and clapped my hands. My mechanical nose wriggled involuntarily. I was going to be with Ollie again soon. I could feel it in my gears.

Barnaby sat himself on the floor and went to work. I assisted where I could, but mostly I'm just good at playing Tic-Tac-Toe or lawn croquet. I don't have a lot of skills outside of providing fun companionship and playtime for little boys.

Before too long Barnaby had assembled something that looked like a crude miniature bicycle with a propeller in front and a pair of double wings on either side.

"See, what you do is you pedal the bike and it rotates the propeller. When you get enough momentum going the wings should provide you with lift and you'll take to the air. You can turn the handlebars to steer."

"I declare this certified A-mazing," I said. My ears rotated around happily.

Silas came over and peered at Barnaby's work through his monocle. "I hate to admit it, but this looks like some good work. And it's just the right size for you, Nub-Nub. Why don't we take it outside and get you on your way?"

"Huzzah!" I shouted and hopped out the door.

Barnaby set the flying bike on the ground for me so I could get on. The seat was surprisingly comfy and it even had a little notch in it to accommodate my metallic little bunny tail.

I put my hands on the handlebars and began peddling with my feet. The bike took off with more speed than I was expecting and before too long I was hovering above the ground.

"Oh boy, I don't know how to thank you, Mr. Barnaby and Mr. Silas. But before I go, could you do me two small favors?" I landed the bike and looked up at them with the cutest expression on my face that I could muster.

"Of course, Nub-Nub," Silas said. "What are they?"

"First of all, would one of you be so kind as to wind me all the way up? I'd hate to run out of energy halfway up in the air."

"No problem," Barnaby said, turning my key as far as it would go. "What's the other favor?"

"Could you two stop being mad at each other? You're both my friends and I hate it when my friends fight."

Barnaby let out a loud laugh and then turned to look at Silas. "What do you say? You think you can find it in your heart to forgive me?"

"Forgive, yes. Forget? Never. But I will say you did a mighty fine job on Nub-Nub's bike and I could use an assistant. That is, if you're interested."

"How soon can I start?" Barnaby asked.

"How about now?"

We all let out a cheer and then they wished me luck as I took off into the sky.

I broke through the clouds after about twenty minutes and the sky looked cleaner and bluer than I'd ever seen it. I spotted the Airship City straight ahead making its rumbling noises and blasting out steam as I pedaled furiously.

"Hang on, Ollie! I'm on my way!"