Prologue

"The darkness will burn brighter into a blazing dawn."

Ivystar stared intently at the StarClan cat, her tail swishing back and forth. "We are DawnClan, so this is about us, isn't it? Is the darkness NightClan?"

The StarClan cat's lip curled with impatience. "You don't know anything, do you? Aren't you facing great problems right now?"

Ivystar flushed. "You have no idea! The Sickness is killing so many of us. I don't know how we're ever going to make it!"

"Then what do you think the darkness is?" the StarClan cat cut in evenly, his face expressionless but slightly bored-looking. He obviously wasn't a leader and yet he faced Ivystar without reverence. It was unnerving.

"The Sickness?" Ivystar guessed accurately, and the StarClan cat flashed her a rare but judgmental smile.

"Good. You're not as dim as you look, then. Yes, the darkness is the Sickness." 

"What's the blazing dawn?" Ivystar asked.

The StarClan cat rolled his eyes. "What's the point of giving a mumbo-jumbo prophecy if I have to explain it to you?"

"But I don't get it!" Ivystar complained.

The StarClan cat merely rolled his eyes. "Dawn is orange."

"Uh, I know that!" Ivystar said quickly, not wanting him to think any less of her. "So, an orange cat? Is it Goldenpaw?"

"What is wrong with you? I said orange!" the StarClan cat demanded irritably. "Why are you so dim?"

"I didn't ask to be dim, mate," Ivystar slurred grumpily. "Could we get down to the you giving me the answers part and quit the you annoying me part?"

He gave a quick laugh. "I'm not annoying you half as much as you're annoying me. And I told you, I've already given you more clues than I should. The darkness is the Sickness. Think about it. Stop being dumb."

"It seems to be in my genetics!" Ivystar retorted angrily.

"Who chose you as deputy?" he asked, returning to his bored tone as he scrutinized Ivystar from top to bottom.

"Mistystar, and it was very good of her!" Ivystar said waspishly. How could he constantly look down on her?!

"Bad choice. I'm having a word with her." He turned to leave, and though Ivystar had turned beet red, she wasn't about to let him go yet!

"Wait! Who are you?" she called after him.

He tsked. "Pesky," he grumbled. "The name's Jayflight. You happy now?"

"You're as grumpy as the legendary Jayfeather," Ivystar groaned.

His icy stare swept over her. "How would you know? You've never met him." And then he was gone.

Word count: 400 exactly.

It wasn't even intentional.