Chapter 2: Another Walk By The Lake

Upon exiting the kitchens, Harry and Hermione made their way down to the Black Lake in silence. The grounds were pristine-almost innocent-looking-and Harry felt a vague since of irritation at the fact that the grounds could so thoroughly disguise the blood that had been shed there.

And yet, as he and Hermione began the familiar trek around the lake's shore, munching their was through the stack of toast, Harry was happy for the façade. This place may never hold the innocence it once had, but it could at least pretend, even if just for a moment, even if just for them.

Only when Harry had started on his fifth slice of toast did he notice that Hermione had stopped eating.

"Not hungry?" he asked, before taking another large bite.

Hermione raised an eyebrow.

"I'm full," she said, a half-smile on her lips. "People tend to stop eating once they've eaten their fill...unless you're Ron, of course."

"But we barely ate anything yesterday," he countered. "I get that girls don't usually eat as much as guys, but you're making me feel a little self-conscious here."

Hermione shrugged. "I mean, you were asleep all day yesterday, so I can understand why you're hungry-"

"Wait, I slept all day yesterday?"

"Yes...I thought you knew," Hermione said, eying him curiously. "We figured you needed the rest, so we didn't wake you."

"Ah...no wonder I'm hungry."

Hermione offered Harry the last piece of toast, and laughed when he shook his head. "Oh, come on! Don't refuse to take it on my account. If it makes you feel better, I stuffed myself like a pig yesterday."

"Really?"

"Really. I might've given Ron a run for his money on one of his good days."

Harry chuckled, but again refused the toast. Plucking it from the napkin, she tossed the bread into the lake. They watched together as it became waterlogged and sank below the surface-clearly the giant squid was still a bit nervous following the battle.

"So..." Harry said casually after a beat of silence. "Want to explain why you were in the boys' dormitory?"

Hermione turned a shade of red that Harry also thought could've given Ron a run for his money.

"Well...um...well, the thing is-" Hermione stuttered, but then shot Harry a glare when he gave a snort of laughter. "It's not nice to tease, you know."

"Perhaps not, but it is fun, though."

"For you."

"Yes," Harry agreed. "I'd still like to know."

Hermione's expression saddened slightly. "Yesterday...was hard."

Harry remained silent.

"The...casualties were listed," Hermione continued. "And the bodies were taken away. It was the first real chance we got to take everything in. And the Weasleys..."

She trailed off as she stared out across the lake, not seeming to see it. Blinking, she seemed to come back to herself, and glanced at Harry from the corners of her eyes.

"I'm glad you were asleep. I sort of wish I had been sleeping. It felt like I was intruding on their grief."

Harry silently agreed that he was glad to have been asleep, and subsequently felt ashamed for it. Glancing over at Hermione, he saw that tears had formed in her eyes and were on the verge of spilling onto her cheeks. Harry could feel his own eyes beginning to itch, and his throat burned as he swallowed, intent on keeping control.

Despite his and Hermione's attempted withdrawal from the Weasleys' mourning, they had failed miserably. They may not be true members of their family, but Fred had been their friend, and his death was still raw on their hearts, as well as the deaths of Lupin, Tonks, and even Colin Creevey.

Hermione brushed away her tears frustratingly before speaking again. "Anyway, I think Ron just wanted a chance to talk to someone outside of his family, so we stayed up for a while. Obviously we fell asleep."

She fell silent, but then brightened suddenly as they plopped (or in Harry's case, gingerly lowered) themselves onto the grass in the shade of the beech tree bordering the lake. "We did get to take a nice long bath, though. It was amazing."

Harry raised an intrigued eyebrow. "I hope you mean separate baths."

His comment was met by a prompt but light punch to the chest, and he was surprised when agonizing pain spread like tendrils from where her fist connected with his body.

"Ouch!" Harry yelped.

"Oh, you're being a baby," Hermione said. "I barely hit you."

"I know," Harry mumbled, massaging his chest gently with a wince. "That's why I'm surprised it hurt so much."

"That actually hurt?" Hermione asked, her tone switching immediately to concern. "Let me see; you could have a broken rib or something."

"Don't you think I'd feel if I had a broken rib?"

"I would think so, but you never know. You might not have felt it with all the adrenaline from battle, or it could be an after-effect of a spell. Either way, let me see it."

"I don't think that's a good idea," Harry said warily, unwilling to remove his shirt on a whim in front of his female best friend. Especially so soon after she had left the bed of his other best friend.

"Fine. If you won't let me see it, we need to go to Madame Pomfrey."

"I'd rather not."

"Too bad," Hermione stated sternly, rising swiftly to her feet. "We're going whether you want to or not. I'm sure you're in more pain than just that anyway. I know I was. Madame Pomfrey will have you in and out in no time."

"Can we come back here afterward?"

Hermione's expression softened slightly. "Sure, if that's what you want to do."

"Fine, I'll come," Harry said, pretending he'd had a choice in the matter.

Hermione smiled down approvingly at him and started the walk back to the castle. She had only taken a few steps when she heard her name called from behind her. Turning around, she saw that Harry remained in the same spot, grinning bashfully.

"Do you think you could help me up?"