Getting Into The Swing of Things

Start from the beginning

"I can handle the press." I said to him.

"You definitely can. So, what else is on the schedule?"

"I've got a dress fitting with Evie." I sighed. "I love the girl, I do, but her dress fittings always leave me out of breath, and then I've got a meeting with Jane to fix up the ballroom for the Union Ball."

"Well, we've got some free time tomorrow afternoon, why don't we have a date."

"Yeah, of course."

"And we can-" Ben checked his watch. "I have a council meeting. I'm so late!"

"You should go." I suggested. "I don't want to be the one to get you in trouble with the Council." I pushed myself up onto my toes to try and kiss him, but a hand encircled my wrist and yanked me away from Ben. I turned my head and saw Evie glaring at me slightly.

"If we do not do a fitting for your gown right this minute, you'll be dancing in your bathrobe and I don't want to be on the receiving end of one of your mother's arrows." Evie stated. "Hi." Evie said to Ben before she turned to me, "Let's go, let's go." Evie dragged me away from Ben towards our dorm.

"Bye Ben!" I said before he was out of sight.

"Bye." He replied.

Evie soon had me standing on a podium as she made adjustments to my dress with the TV playing in the background

Evie soon had me standing on a podium as she made adjustments to my dress with the TV playing in the background. The dress was a sleeveless, navy blue dress with gold embroidery over the chest and a layered skirt. The hem of the skirt started at my left knee, and then went diagonal to the floor. The hem was trimmed with gold. Evie walked behind me, pulled my shoulders back, and tightened something so tight that I let out a choked breath. "Evie!" I wheezed. "I can't breathe!" Evie lifted my arm.

"Well, you can breathe after the Union Ball." Evie stated.

"Not really. I've got my Coronation to plan for the month after next."

"Impeccable."

"Hey E?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you ever miss the Isle?"

"What?"

"I don't mean the Isle itself, that place was the worst place ever, but the people, you know? Like Dizzy...and Uma."

"Hads..." Evie walked around so she was in front of me. "Uma was...Uma was cruel to you."

"And Mal banished us to the other end of the Isle when we were six, shoved us in a closet full of bear traps ten years later and tried to force us under her mother's Sceptre's curse." I stated. "She hasn't apologised for it still."

"But-"

"Evie." I cut her off. "She's more concerned about her own image than she is about us. Ever since we got back to Auradon, she's been parading around claiming it was her who took Maleficent down. It was all of us, together. But she's the one in the spotlight for it."

"I didn't think you'd want to be in the spotlight any more than you already are?" Evie questioned.

"I don't, but we deserve at least some credit, we were there too." Evie was silent. "You know I'm right, E." There was a musical cue and Evie and I turned to the TV which showed a picture of Ben and I eating alongside Auradon's Aladin and Jasmine. Evie offered her hand to me, and I gripped it tight as I stepped off the podium. I sat on the end of my bed, watching the broadcast.

"As the royal couple continues their tour of Auradon, they dined with Aladdin and Jasmine." I saw my eyes widen at the heat of the food, but I managed to swallow it and put on a smile. Thank you Mum for the Princess cram lessons. "Almost a year ago, no one thought King Ben and his girlfriend from the wrong side of the bridge would last." I scoffed. "Princess Hadley must be counting the days until the Union Ball where Auradon and the Enchanted Forest will be united as allies." I smiled, we were doing it!

"Hey, Hads, is this your draw?" Evie asked. I looked over at her to see her struggling to open up one of the drawers in the dresser.

"No." I stood and walked over to her, lifting the skirt so I didn't rip the seams. Evie was jiggling the handle but the draw wouldn't give. "I got it." Evie let go of the handle and I waved my hand over the lock, causing it to glow red for a second before a click was heard. I opened the draw, only to find Mal's Spell Book.

"I thought she gave this to Fairy Godmother." Evie muttered. "I gave my Mirror to her. Look, there are tabs." Evie picked up the book and flipped open to the pages. "Speed Reading Spell." Evie read. "Blonde Hair Spell...Mal still has the Love Spell bookmarked. See here?" Evie pointed to a scribble in the corner. For Ben, just in case. I glared at the page, before grabbing the book out of Evie's hand, putting it back in the draw and slamming it shut. I waved my hand and the draw locked itself again. "What was that for?"

"We can't let her know that we know." I said. "Who knows what she'll do."