Chapter One: The New Roommates

Y/N gave a sigh as they heard a knock on the door. If it wasn't important, then they would probably kick whoever it was for interrupting their listening to music, relaxing on the couch, and reading fanfiction time.

Then again, who would show up at their door if it wasn't important? They didn't exactly have an active social life, that was for sure. They took out their earbuds and put them back in the case, reluctantly standing up and making their way to the door. They let out an 'ow' as their hip bone gave a pop, as if to yell at them for getting up from the comfort of the couch. They opened the front door, to be met by two tall fellows. Immediately, Y/N was struck with the realization that they had, in fact, arranged to meet with two fellows at two in the afternoon, and wouldn't you know it, it was two on the dot.

The first was slightly shorter, standing upright with a happy smile plastered onto their face, showing off their teeth in an overly friendly display. Great, an extrovert... The second was practically smothered by their dark blue hoodie, standing with a slouch and crossed arms. They didn't look like they wanted to be here very much. Good. That meant they were probably an introvert and probably wouldn't bother Y/N very much. They could already assume what these two were here for.

"Are you two uh... Sun and Moon..?" Y/N asked. The names were questionable, but it could've been worse. Some parents just didn't think when they named their kids. Heck, maybe there was a story behind the astral themed names, maybe their parents were astronomers or something. In any case, it wasn't Y/N's place to judge, and they couldn't afford to discriminate based on such a little fact anyway. It was too expensive to be alive.

"Yeah, that would be us! I'm Sun, this lovely fella over here is Moon," The extrovert said, rocking back and forth on his heels and making little hand gestures as he spoke. Y/N's gaze was drawn to his bright yellow hair with fiery orange tips... very expressive, to say the least. It was painfully obvious how bad he was trying to make a good impression as well. Given their previous text conversations, they weren't exactly expecting anything less from him, though. "Moon, say hi!"

"Hi," Moon muttered, their unusually coloured red eyes flickering up to meet Y/N's. They didn't even pretend to smile, no, they just looked at them with the kind of judgemental expression you would expect to find on a cat. Y/N wasn't sure whether to relate to that or to find it creepy. In the end, they felt a mix of both... a bit hypocritical, but then again, who exactly could be bothered to care with the dumpster fire of a world they lived in? A little harmless hypocrisy was the least of their worries.

"Well, uh, I suppose I should probably give you two the tour I promised you then," Y/N said, taking a step back and holding their arm out towards the inside. "Come on in."

Normally, Y/N wouldn't allow strangers into their house, but these two strangers were their potential new roommates. Y/N had also contacted their family and told them about the meeting in advance, asking them to check in if they didn't say anything by four. They were technically only looking for one other roommate, but these two had expressed that they were perfectly fine sharing a room, especially considering they had opposite working hours from one another. Plus... more people meant more income meant less likely to fail to pay rent. It also wasn't like Y/N didn't have self defense keychains stashed around the house if something went wrong with them.

Sun tried to contain their excitement, at least, Y/N thought they were making an attempt to control their happiness. It wasn't quite clear, but, if they were trying to, they were failing quite miserably. They took a few steps in, and Moon was quick to follow in a graceful silence. There was a fine line between creepy and mysterious; Moon was that line.

"So... this is the living room right here. There's all the normal stuff: a couch, a TV, some shelves, a side table, etcetera, etcetera," Y/N said, gesturing to the room around them. The living room was directly connected to the entryway. "Shoes go right on that shelf, it's a bit of a mess right now because one of the shelves broke, not sure when or how it broke but it clearly did."