CHAPTER 5

Lucy's POV

Lucas introduced me to the other two guys, Zander Gale and Zeke Sawyers.

Zander was known as the quintessential 'bad boy' of the school. He had a solitary demeanor and was heavily involved in boxing. Occasional smoking and drinking were part of his repertoire. Despite his rough exterior, he attracted a swarm of girls who would doll up in heavy makeup just to catch his eye, though it often did them more harm than good.

And then there was Zeke. Zeke epitomized the term 'player' within our group. He had a reputation for hopping from one girl to another with ease. He exuded an air of coolness, and I could already tell he was the class clown among us.

"Um, so am I going to share a room with one of you or?" I hesitantly inquired.

"I think for tonight I'll share with Zander. Right, Zandy?" Lucas gestured toward Zander. I turned my attention to him. It was evident why girls found him attractive. Clad in a tight black shirt, black sweatpants, and black Nike dunks, he clearly had a penchant for the color black. His hair cascaded over his hazel brown eyes, framing his soft-looking lips. Towering over me, his stature loomed large against my smaller frame.

"Whatever, I'm going out," he muttered, frowning as he brushed past my shoulder and slammed the door shut. Talk about a bad mood.

"Is he...always like that?" I queried Lucas.

"Pretty much," he replied with a shrug.

"Cool."

"I'll grab my stuff, then you can have the room to yourself," Zeke interjected casually.

Zeke entered the room and swiftly gathered his belongings while I surveyed my half of the space. It definitely lacked personal touches. I made a mental note to decorate it tomorrow; for now, exhaustion from the day weighed heavily on me. Closing the door behind Zeke, I nestled into the warm blankets. Within five minutes, sleep enveloped me.

Zander's POV

After finishing the last bit of my cigarette, I flick it to the ground and crush it underfoot. I can't believe this mess. Who the hell mistakes a girl for a boy? Well, in this messed-up generation, anything seems possible. And the way Lucy's shorts were riding up, I just wanted to...screw it.

I head back inside, slamming the door behind me in frustration.

"What's up with you, bro? Where've you been?" Lucas questions as I enter.

"Just smoked a cig, that's all. What did you do about Lucy?" I reply, trying to change the subject.

"She's keeping the room for the night. Tomorrow, she's heading over to the dorm manager," Lucas informs me.

"Cool," I mutter, not particularly interested.

"Oh yeah, and I'm sharing a bed with you since Zeke didn't want to bunk with you," Lucas adds.

"Fun," I say sarcastically.

"I love you too," he quips, trying to lighten the mood.

I retreat into our bedroom, closing the door behind me. I peel off my shirt and toss it into the laundry basket before collapsing onto the bed. What a day.