i'll see you in 2

Start from the beginning

I nod. "Just a part of the job."

I walk over to Hayley and Bep and she smiles at me. "Ready kid?"

I nod. She opens the door and the swarm of reporters and papparazzi turn my way and begin flashing pictures and asking a million questions all at once.

"Belle, what is your relationship status with Nolan Graham?"

"What have you been doing here all this time?"

"Why did you lie to your devoted fans about where you really lived?"

"Who is Theodore ?"

I stand tall and clear my throat. "Theo is my childhood best friend. Since we were children. When I left, we had a small falling out when I first took off with my career, but when I decided it was time for me to come home, I decided to fix things with Theo. We are not in a relationship. I'm still dating Nolan and we are very happy. There is no reason to be concerned about that. I cancelled my press tour so I could focus on my mental health and spend time with my family. As for lying about where I'm from, that was for my parents' safety and my own. And no one else's business but my own. Thank you."

I turn around to go inside and the flashing and questions continue. I hear one of the reports shout, "But the inside source says that you and Theo were practically in love with each other from a young age. How could you say you're happy with Nolan and just friends with Theodore? A love like that doesn't just die."

I stop in my tracks and I can see Haley in the doorway shaking her head at me not to respond. I look at Bep, who's patiently holding the door for me. I turn around and look at the reporters. They're all holding out their microphones or have pens at the ready, cameras pointing in my direction.

"I will always love Theo. I've written about that before. You are correct, Ms...?"

"Appelton. Maurice Appelton from E! News."

"Ms. Maurice Appelton from E! News, you are correct. A love like that doesn't just die and my love for Theo never has. He has been and always will be my best friend. My own relationship is my own business. As you've all heard from Nolan, we are perfectly happy and content. My friendships outside of Hollywood and outside of the spotlight is frankly no one else's business. You people are relentless in the music industry. Just hoping and praying that one day, I will fail. Respect my privacy and more importantly, respect Theo. He is a country boy from this small town. Let him stay that way."

There's more shouting and camera flashing after I finish my statement, only this time I keep walking. Hayley for once does not look disappointed in my outburst. I might even go as far to say that she as proud of it. 

I'm proud of it too.

---

THEO

"Maybe you should call her, honey," my mom suggests, placing a hand on my back.

"I want to give her some time to breathe," I explain. Which is true. I also need to convince myself that I understand everything she said was just for the camera and her image and how she actually feels about me is a different story. I just have to convince myself of that.

"You know, she would want to hear from you. You're the only person she wants to hear from."

Unfortunately, my mother is right. There was one time when Annabelle was 6 and her mom had her cit her hair to donate. This issue was, they need a minimum of 12 inches in order to donate and Ellie's perception of length was extremely askew. She came home with a bob, two inches form her shoulders and in complete tears. 

She refused to leave her house, let alone her room, and would only let me see her. Her and I sat in her room for an entire two weeks until her hair could fit into little braids and she found it socially acceptable to step out in public. She only wanted me then. And she probably only wants me now.

"I'll go call her," I mutter and she smiles at me and kisses me on the head.

"There's the boy that I raised."

I walk out of the kitchen and onto the front porch to sit on the swing. I can see into Annabelle's bedroom and can tell she's in there. Her light is on and her curtains are still open despite it being night time. I pull my phone out and click her name and the phone starts to ring.

She picks up in seconds and I see her go and sit in her window. "Theodore?"

"Anabella."

"Theo, I'm so sorry about all of this. About everything. I never meant for your name to get out in the tabloids and I have no idea how it did and I'm sorry for accusing Gianna. I just...it made sense in my mind. I also just had to say most of that stuff for my image and Hayley made me give a statement that showed I wasn't falling off in my career or anything. I'm just-"

"Anabelle," I cut her off and i can see her head drop.

"Yes?"

"I'm not angry with you."

She lifts her head up. "You're not?"

I sigh, dragging a hand across my face. "No, I'm not. This is just...I forget sometimes that you're super famous and not just the girl next door. You're not just my friend. You're an international superstar."

"Don't remind me," she mumbles and I chuckle.

"It's the truth Ellie Belle," I whisper. "Things are different now."

She sighs. "Things are very different now."

"I can see you, you know," I tell her and her head whips to look out the window and I think I can make out a small smile on her lips. 

"Well, I can see you too," she giggles and I smile.

"Do you want to come over here? We can just sit and talk. Or sit and not talk. Or you can bring your guitar. Whatever you want."

"I'd like that."

"I'll see you in 2?" she asks and I smile at her reference.

"I'll see you in 2."