Chapter 8: Everything Burns

After [Y/N] left, The Joker called the goons back in.

"It's not about the money. It's about sending a message." He said as he dialed in a number, "Everything burns!"

He called GCN, the main news program in Gotham. Mr. Reese was on the show tonight.

"Who is this?" The host asked as he got a call in.

"I had a vision of a world without Batman: the mob ground out a little profit, and the police try to shut them down on block at a time. And it was so... boring." The Joker said over the phone, "I've had a change of heart. I don't want Mr. Reese spoiling everything, but why should I have all the fun? Let's give someone else a chance. If Coleman Reese isn't dead in 60 minutes, then I blow up a hospital."

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

"I want you to call in every officer. Tell them to head to their nearest hospital and start evac and search. Call the transit authority, school board, prisons. Get every available bus down to a hospital. The priority is Gotham General. Wheel everybody out of that place right now. You, you and you, you come with me." James Gordon yelled.

"Where are we going, sir?" The officer that Gordon called out asked.

"To get Reese." He replied.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Panic insued in Gotham. Gotham General was being evacuated immediately and everyone who had a family member in the hospital went after Coleman Reese.

"So what now? What do we do know? Where are we going?" Reese panicked while sitting in a car with Gordon and an officer.

Gordon sat next to him as his phone rang. He opened it to see a message saying: "Watch out". Followed by another message: "Cops with relatives in Gotham Hospitals: Ramirez, Berg."

Gordon immediately looked over to the officer sitting in the car with him.

"It's Berg, isn't it?" He asked.

"Commissioner."

"You ok, son?"

Berg scoffed and nodded his head.

"I'm gonna need your weapon." Gordon said.

"What?" The officer said, surprised, "Why? Because my wife's in the hospital?"

"Yeah, that'd be why." Gordon replied.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

An officer walked through the hospital, looking for his colleague who was supposed to bring out Harvey Dent.

"Davis!" He said while walking through the halls.

Eventually, he went into Dent's hospital room and was met with a nurse.

"Ma'am, we're gonna have to move him now." He said as the nurse turned around and shot him. It was the Joker.

He walked over to Harvey's bed and raised it, singing a happy tune. He removed his mask when Harvey started trying to break free, but the restraints on his hands not allowing him to.

Joker sat down on a chair beside the bed.

"Hi..." he said awkwardly as he took off his wig and fixed his green, greasy hair.

"You know... I don't there to be any hard feelings between us, Harvey. When you and, uh..."

"Rachel!" Harvey screamed.

"...Rachel were being abducted, I was sitting in Gordon's cage. I didn't rig those charges."

"Your men, your plan." Harvey replied.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? You know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it. You know, I just do things. The mob has plans. The cops have plans. Gordon's got plans. You know, they're schemers. Schemers trying to control their little worlds. I'm not a schemer. I try to show the schemers how... pathetic their attempts at control really are. So, when I say, ah- come here." He said as he took Harvey's hand, "When I say that you and your girlfriend was nothing personal; you know that I'm telling th truth."

"It's the schemers that put you where you are. You were a schemer, you had plans, and, uh... look where that got you." He said, unclocking his restraints. Once Harvey was free he immediately reached for Joker's neck to try and choke him. The Joker easily stopped him.

"I just did what I do best. I took your little plan and I turned it on itself. Look what I did to this city with a few drums of gas and a couple of bullets. Hm? You know what, you know what I noticed? Nobody panics when things go according to plan. Even if the plan is horrifying. If tomorrow I tell the press that, like, a gangbanger will get shot or a truckload of soldiers will be blowing up, nobody panics. Because it's all part of the plan. But when I say that one little old mayor will die, well, then, everyone loses their minds!" He continued as he handed a gun to Harvey, "Introduce a little anarchy... upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos." He said, as he pointed the gun at his forhead, Harvey still holding the gun, "I'm an agent of chaos. Oh, and you know the thing about chaos? It's fair."

Harvey looked at him for a seconds before glancing at his coin. One side was burned due to the fire he got caught in. He took it and held it up in front of the Joker.

He turned the coin to its non-burned side, "You live."

"Mhm."

He turned the coin to its burned side, "You die."

"Oh, now we're talking." The Joker said as Harvey flipped the coin. After it landed he looked Joker straight in the eyes. He would live.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Mr. Reese..." The officer said a he took a shot at him, however Gordon moved the gun up to the ceiling in time.

Bruce Wayne was riding right behind them on his Lamborghini as he noticed a van rushing right at the car Mr. Reese was in. He realized that they were planning on killing him so he rushed towards the van and hit it, turning it away from Reese's car.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Joker let Harvey go as he left the room. He walked down the whole while taking out a detonator. After pressing a button, he imitated an explosion sound, which followed right after.

As he walked out of the hospital people started screaming and fleeing the scene in horror.

As the Joker kept walking, suddenly the explosions stopped going off. The Joker stopped in his tracks and started pressing the button on the detonator eagerly, until it finally worked and the hospital went into flames.

The Joker hopped on a bus and rode away, still wearing the nurse outfit.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

[Y/N] sat at home, rethinking what she said to the Joker. Why did she do that? She couldn't just keep it to herself? Well, it's too late for that.

The news kept playing in the background while she cooked herself some dinner, when something happened which caught her eye.

A hospital was blown up? What is wrong with him? God.

"People are still missing, including GCN's own Mike Engel. I'm now being told that we're cutting to a video GCN has just received." The news reporter said.

The explosion sight cut to a video of Mike Engel with a red Joker smile painted on him. There is a badly painted 'BREAKING NEWS' sign behind him.

"I'm Mike Engel for Gotham Tonight." He said as he read from papers that were being held up in front of him, "What does it take to make you people want to join in? You failed to kill the lawyer. I've gotta get you off the bench and into the game." He spoke as you can hear the Joker laughing in the background and echoing every key word, "Come nightfall, this city is mine. And anyone left here plays by my rules. If you don't wanna be in the game; get out now. But the bridge-and-tunnel crowd are sure in for a surprise. Ha-ha, ha-ha."

Joker started laughing in the background as he turned off the camera.

I guess I'm staying then, gotta see what he wants me to do, even if he wants me to do anything after our little 'chat'.