Chapter 2

Start from the beginning

* ...

* ...

* Hmm...

* That's strange.

* I've never seen a SOUL like yours before.

* I c a n ' t t e l l i f y o u ' r e a h u m a n o r a m o n s t e r...

ᴄᴏɴᴛɪɴᴜᴇ?

> ʏᴇs     > ɴᴏ

ᴀʀᴇ ʏᴏᴜ sᴜʀᴇ? (ʟᴀsᴛ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴛᴏ ᴛᴜʀɴ ʙᴀᴄᴋ!)

> ʏᴇs > ɴᴏ

ʟᴏᴀᴅɪɴɢ...

> ᴛᴡᴏ ʙᴜʀɢᴇʀs ᴀɴᴅ ғʀɪᴇs

"𝘠𝘰𝘶'𝘥 𝘭𝘰𝘰𝘬 𝘤𝘶𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘪𝘧 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘮𝘪𝘭𝘦𝘥 𝘮𝘰𝘳𝘦!"

Regulars weren't any trouble for you every time you clocked in. To be frank, they were perhaps the only interesting thing to happen at the corner store. You'd get the same elderly folks walking in to buy their usual groceries. Or the same 3 am junkie asking for a pack of cigs. There was never an in-between.

"Not that kind of smile! That's the strained one you always give everyone. It's like you've never smiled, ever!"

Really hit the nail in the coffin with that one. Jokes aside, Ms. Klein should really get the message that you couldn't smile around her if she stopped acting...like herself!

"Would you like these in a bag?" Your lips lifted upwards, causing her to sigh.

Ms. Klein was an enigma you could never figure out. Despite her older age, she still managed to annoy you like a fourteen-year-old kid begging a stranger to buy them a vape. You can spot her matted blonde hair from a mile away as she dragged in her stroller. Ms. Klein was a skinny minuscule woman, causing her to always look up with her beady green eyes. They were sunken into her skin, wrinkles carving her white skin.

You began scanning her items. The same two loaves of bread, a packet of mint,s and a bottle of Diet Coke.

You cashed it in your register. The elder rummaged through her wallet to fish out a twenty-dollar bill.

No receipt.

"Dear it's about time you get out of your comfort zone. Which is this dingy old corner store!" She huffed, packing her groceries in her stroller. You pulled your lips to the side as she dotted on. "I'm serious. I've seen you work, day in and day out like an old man. I mean how old are you? You should be living your best life already!"

You held up a hand in defence. "I am happy working here though."

"You're not happy! You're content!" You were sure that those two words we synonyms of each other. Ms. Klein pressed her palm to her forehead. "I just want to see you smile more, dear! If it's a love trouble I do have a handsome son! I bet he can spark up your love life!"