16. Leave it in the past.

Start from the beginning

"Evelynn?" she called out. "In here!" Evelynn yelled from a cell, ella following the sound. Ev and Carl were sitting down on the bunk bed reading a comic book.

"Whats that?" ella tilted her head.

"A comic book. Its basically a book, just with more pictures and way more action." carl answered.

They had multiple, not alot but enough. Ella took one and sat at the edge of the bed. She wasn't an awesome reader but it wasn't that hard for her. The words became harder and harder to read, ella put the book down aggressively in frustration. Evelynn looked up at the younger girl as she got up.

"I'll go find something else to do." Ella said, walking out.

Ella pouted, everyone else had something to do. She decided to grab her notebook and draw a little something. For some reason, she didn't know what to draw. She didn't know what to do either. She just felt bored and alone. Ella sat down on her bed, just thinking.

AUGUST 2010
DAY OF THE OUTBREAK

"Where's daddy?" ella asked patiently, the girl who had just turned 7 years old that day. It was around 3pm, she didn't wanna do anything until her father arrives.

"I don't know honey. He's just leaving me on voicemail." her mother, Sarah replied, the girl frowning. "But I'll find out, alright?" Ella nodded her head. Caleb was looking at them, feeling bad for his sister.

"Ella, come on. Why don't I give you your gift early?" Caleb smile, the girls mouth turned into a wide grin. Ella nodded her head following her big brother. Caleb walked to their room, bringing out a small gift box and handed it to his sister. "Open it." he rushed.

Ella quickly opened it seeing a silver necklace with a pretty moon pendant. Her eyes brightened with joy. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" she beamed, smiling wide and went to hug her brother.

"How much was it?" asked their mom who stood at the doorway.

"Don't worry. I payed it myself, it wasn't much." caleb assured her. "Alright. let me put it on you." he kneeled down to get to her eye level. Ella held up her hair as Caleb put the necklace on her. "You look beautiful." he smiled, getting up.

A few hours later, the family sitting on the couch watching a movie waiting for Ella's father to arrive. The poor girl was falling asleep but fought to stay awake to see her dad. Suddenly, a knock on the door. Ella quickly ran for the door, "Sweetheart, wait up." her mother said, pausing the tv and walked toward her daughter. Their mom opened the door, "You're late." she said firmly, in an angry tone.

"Daddy!" ella smiled. "I knew you'd come."

"Hey! Sorry, I was stuck helping my wife but, I got here as fast as I could." he said. Ella didn't mind, she knew his wife was struggling with cancer but suddenly, the tv blinked. It was the national news, it was only broadcasting during emergencies or really important stuff.

"There has been a highly deadly virus spreading across europe, canada and is now reaching the united states! Please lock your doors and avoid any contact with anyone who looks sick. We've seen aggressive behavior between them including, biting, scratching and eating the human flesh. Stay safe out there."