Chapter 11

The next morning, Linh woke up feeling well rested.

After dinner last night, she'd continued playing her game for two more hours. Then, she prepared herself for bed. Miguel was still awake, researching. Linh hoped that he had not spent the entire night in that state.

When she stopped by the living room, Miguel was asleep. Thankfully, it seemed like he had gotten rest after all.

Today, Linh decided to cook an American breakfast, because she was running out of supplies like rice and vegetables. Since Linh had to show Miguel around the city anyway, it would be a good idea to start with her neighborhood. She could get grocery shopping done, while also showing Miguel what life was like in the early 21st century.

Instead of Miguel arriving at the kitchen, it was Linh who had to wake him up. She gently repeated his name a few times, until she could see him blinking his eyes wearily. "Miguel? I made breakfast. Pancakes, eggs, bacon, and other things..."

It seemed that the offer of food tempted him, as he began to get up from the couch.

Before Linh could forget, she placed an extra laundry hamper on the ground. "Here, this is for dirty clothes. I figured you'd need a place to keep them until we do the laundry..."

Miguel thanked her, and he went to the bathroom, while Linh headed towards the kitchen. She set up the dining table, waiting for Miguel to finish brushing his teeth. After he arrived, they ate and washed the dishes. Once that was done, Linh was ready to begin Miguel's tour.

Before going out, she changed into outdoor clothes. Linh was in her bedroom, until Miguel knocked on the door. When she opened it, Miguel appeared, wearing a simple hoodie, jeans, and sneakers. Linh also had something that could help Miguel.

"You can wear this - it'll hide your face." She handed Miguel a mask, from the pair she'd been holding onto. "No one will care, since everyone is used to it because of the pandemic."

Miguel accepted the proffered mask. "Do you have sunglasses as well?"

"Sunglasses...?" Linh blinked, then realized something as she looked at Miguel's red eyes. "Oh, to hide your eye color?"

Miguel nodded. "I can't wear contacts because that requires a prescription. So sunglasses will have to do."

"I think I have one somewhere. A friend of mine forgot them when he was visiting. I kept it with me to return them, but he told me he didn't really need it." Linh observed Miguel, noting the general shape of his face. "They should be the right size too."

Miguel waited patiently outside, as Linh searched her room. After she found them, she gave it to Miguel.

"How do I look?" Adorning his visage were dark sunglasses.

Linh took in Miguel's appearance, formulating a response to his question. "Well, if you only need something to hide your eye color, I think tinted eyeglasses would be better." She typed on her phone, then showed it to him. "Like this! Regular glasses, but tinted. I can buy you a pair online, no prescription needed."

Miguel cupped his chin thoughtfully. "I suppose it would be less noticeable than sunglasses."

"That's right!" Linh tapped on her own eyewear. "No one can tell the difference between someone who actually needs them, and someone who's trying to disguise themselves."

Now that Miguel and Linh had finished preparing, they left the apartment building. Linh brought along a shopping cart, in order to store her groceries. They passed familiar spots in her neighborhood, with Linh pointing them all out. There was the community center, the subway station, the post office...