Chapter 8

I make my way through the halls to get outside. Countless females are chatting and shoving their way to the lunch building. All I can focus on is the argument I and Chantel just had. I've never seen her cry before. She's always been the strong one but I guess even bricks turn to powder eventually.

I bite my lip as guilt crept up on me. Dark, dangerous, and ready to pounce. I felt sick to my stomach. I don't think I want to go to lunch today but I need to explain myself to Shae so she doesn't think I'm ghosting her.

I look up at the lunch building. It's separated from the school with tables and chairs inside and out. Its scenery is beautiful with cherry blossom trees framing the front. It reminds me of a Cafe building but with a twist. The twist was the giant statues made to honor the elites. Every elite got their likeness carved out in stone. They stood in the middle of our school courtyard. Four of the elites look out to a different building, while Aimiah's mother, the top elite, stands in the middle on a pedestal looking up with her hand raised holding up a stone diorama of our town. You have to pass them to get anywhere outside the main school building.

I can't help but gulp as I look at the elite statue facing toward the lunch building, or as I like to call it, "The Hash House". The goddess of the ethereal light, or as other elites and their children call her, Tati. This statue of her does not do her justice, then again what would I know, it's rare to lay eyes upon her. She only comes out at night. The only time anyone other than the elites and their children ever sees her is during sacrifice rituals.

I shake off the intimidating feeling I get looking at her and the rest of the statues. I continue my walk into the beautiful building as I search for Shae.

After what felt like hours, I finally spotted Shae and, funny enough, Diara. I walk over to their table at the far corner and have a seat next to Diara and across from Shae.

"I was looking forward to having lunch with you yesterday...you never showed. So I texted you...you never answered." Shae spoke in a dull voice. Her luscious blonde bangs overshadow her face.

I can't help but gulp as I notice her grip on her fork tightens. Her knuckles turn a ghostly white as she stabs into her salad.

"I-I got l-locked i-in a locker by C-Chantel. I w-wasn't let o-out til the e-end of the d-d-day."

I cursed myself for sounding so meek and timid. I could barely speak a word without tripping on my tongue. Ridiculous.

Shae looks up at me finally gracing me with her gorgeous hazel eyes. I thought she was mad by the tone of her voice but her eyes showed more of a hurt, almost disappointed expression.

"Why didn't you text me? I would have left class to let you out. You know that right?"

She looks like a kicked puppy. All that charm she had to her seemed to have vanished into mid-air. Even her frizzy hair looked more deflated to complement her depressed expression. I never took Shae to be the emotional type.

"I left my phone in my locker," I spoke with more confidence.

Shae's eyebrows furrowed as she contemplated what I said. After a few minutes, she nodded her head and smiled at me. I could tell she was still a little upset but she seemed to be in a better mood than she was before.

As Shae silently continued to eat her salad rather than violently stabbing it, I looked over to Diara. Diara was already looking at me, observing me. Once our eyes connected she frantically adjusted her glasses and ate her dumplings.

Her hands are once again in the sleeves of her hoodie but from the way her chopsticks and spoon are shacking, I could tell she is beyond nervous.

I lean a little closer to Diara, shoulders slightly touching. "How are you today Diara". I spoke in a light whisper not to frighten my old friend.