Chapter Twenty Six

Beginne am Anfang

His eyes slide behind me with a sharp look and I can't help staring back to see where Richard's team is heating up. I remember Richard's face that night when he ended up at my door and it gives me chills through my spine. I've done nothing wrong, I remind myself, I don't confuse anyone. "I don't trust him," Calvin says absentmindedly after a while.

"He's been a good friend to me."

"I know him better than you do." His eyes dart on me again and he looks really annoyed. I can't estimate why. But I don't like this jealous attitude of him all of a sudden - he is being unreasonable. He takes a deep breath when I don't make a sound and fold my arms. "I've seen him around with girls, okay? I know how he acts with friends, the girls he flirts and all."

I arch my eyebrow at him. "Which category do I fall under?"

"None and it's what scares me."

I huff, avoiding his gaze. "You're overreacting." I look back at him. "He doesn't even see me as a girl - he said it himself, remember?" I wrap my arms around him and bury my face at the hole beside his neck. "And even if he feels something for me, he won't dare to make a move on me. He knows what I feel about you. In fact, he's encouraged me to tell you."

"Has he?" He asks in disbelief, his arms wrapped around my waist.

"Yes!"

Pushing me slightly, he looks at me and smiles. "So nice of him," he says, rolling his eyes. "He should really back off though, he keeps looking at me whenever we are together."

"He's still in shock - he's never thought I'd have the guts to tell you."

"You're the bravest girl I've ever known, Jack." And he ushers me through the seats holding me by my shoulder. As we find a nice spot where we can watch the game, his arm is slung around my shoulders and I feel like at home.

The game goes smoothly and Richard shows a great performance that I'm sure he's attracted their attention, too. He winks at me after every goal and I feel Calvin tense next to me. I've never known his jealous side but it's cute as long as it's limited like this, of course.

After the final hooter, people run into the field, to our team to celebrate them. Seeing them very eager and cheerful, I hold Calvin's hand and drag him into the field as well. We smile at each other and everything feels right - I become a different person around him.

My eyes search for Richard and eventually spot him in the middle, forcefully embraced by Megan. As he notices me, he shoots a 'help me' look and I bite my lip not to laugh. "Megan."

She looks at me in shock and Calvin. "Oh,"-she throws an awkward glance at Richard-"I was so caught up in the moment, sorry."

Richard nods knowingly but I can tell he just wants her to go away. However, the look on Megan's face makes me sad, it's almost that I pity her.

She looks at us, and in turn Richard before waving and saying goodbye.

"She's...pushy," Richard groans and then, smiles at me. "Thanks for the help."

"What friends are for."

He nods but I can actually see his mood going down or it's just me. Yeah, it must be just me because the next moment, he smiles again. I'm probably affected by Calvin's words. He has trust issues because he's known the old Ric. I trust this one - because we've gone further and improved together. We are a team, I trust him.

***

After the game, Richard throws a victory party at his house and of course, we are invited. First Calvin doesn't want to go but I manage to convince him. Well, I actually haunt him with my charm - some tricks and he gives in. Simple as that.