7. attempts

We were on the highway, Hayden's favorite CentralCee song blasting in the car

We were on the highway, Hayden's favorite CentralCee song blasting in the car. But I couldn't stop thinking about it before. I saw the McDonalds drive thru in front me but I kept going straight. I knew exactly where I was going.

"Yo Finn, Maccas was back there my boy." Liam says playfully.

But I keep my eyes focused and steady on the road.

"Finn?" Hayden calls from the back seat.

I ignore him as my hands grip the steering wheel with more force.

As I continue driving, the tension in the car becomes palpable. My friends exchange puzzled glances, unsure of what's going on with me. The music from CentralCee's song now feels distant and drowned out by the weight of my thoughts.

"Pull over Finn, I'm being serious." Theo said unease seeping through his words.

Except I don't.

I speed up.

Beside me Andrew tenses up. "Finn. Please. Talk to us man."

I continued to drive, turning onto Austins street, which I knew because we Theo had to pick Maddie up one might after he threw her out.

I look back and Theo nods at me. It's almost as if he knows what I was thinking.

"Finn bro, where are we?" Andrew says.

"We're going to beat Austin's ass." Theo says enthusiastically.

We all got down from the car. I am fueled with rage about what he said to Maddie. And I know it's not my business. And I know I shouldn't care, but the way he talked to her, the way fear flashed in her eyes when she heard his voice ignited some fury in me.

Hayden knocks on the door of the small broken home. There were red cups and broken beer bottles scattered across the grown grassy yard.

The door opened and we were met with a scrawny man, he looked our age, his brown hair was messy on his head and he had a bottle of vodka in his hand.

"Whoareyouguysandwhatthefuckareyoudoinghere." he says his voice in a sloppy slur the smell of vodka filled my nostrils.

"It's Theo, I'm pretty sure you remember me." he says, anger swelling in his voice.

"Rightttt your sisters the slut." he says and he chuckles to himself.

Without thinking my fist connects with his face. "Keep her name out of your gross fucking mouth you asshole." I say as the bottle of vodka connects with my head.

I feel a mix of blood and tequila coming down the side of my forehead. And I swing another hit. This time causing him to fall backwards. I was fueled with anger that I continued to swing at his face when I heard Andrew say.