Chapter 2

Glenn woke up unusually earlier the next morning. 

It wasn't light out just yet, but he couldn't find any comfort in laying on his old sleeping bag so he got up and stretched. His stomach growled as usual so he nibbled on a granola bar. Seeing as there wasn't anything else to do, he dug around the house for something to take his mind off the coming day. After rummaging through his old room, he found an old journal he kept from his childhood.

He lit a candle and flipped to a random page. To his surprise, the entire journal was full of hastily written notes as if his child self couldn't resist plastering his thoughts onto paper.

Entry #115 September

"Today, Alex and I became friends.

Alex is a brown and hairy tarantula that we bought at a pet store near my house. He has eight long legs that make him look very big. The round thing on his back is also hairy! It's really cool!

After we brought him home, mom put Alex into a big glass box with little holes in the side-I think it's so he can breathe. Right now, he has no house which is bad. Me and mom fed him three gooey looking worms that the store man said were "delicious" for Alex. The worm was wiggling around in my hand. It tickled a little. Mom had to leave for work, so I brought my chair and sat by Alex because he needed company. We talked about lots of things: rocket ships, the galaxy, school, toys, all the fun stuff in my head came out like a river. Whoosh! Splash!"

Glenn flipped to another entry and continued reading.

Entry #120 September

"Today, me and Alex talked a lot.

I think we are very good friends.

When I talk, he sits in his house and listens to me. His hairy legs mush up and he is very still.

I like that very much. He is very patient with me.

My friends don't like Alex so they left me alone. Percy called me a freak. I don't like him anymore. Percy is a freak.

Alex is kind and didn't mind that they left. I think that is cool. He is a cool spider. Dad came home at night. He was very stinky, like black liquorice.

Dad saw Alex for the first time. He does not like him.

He told me, in a loud voice, that Alex has no place in the house. Mom told him to stop.

I asked Alex why Dad did not like him.

But Alex did not say anything. Why?"

Entry #125 November

"Mom and dad are shouting again.

I don't want to know what they are saying. Mom's shouting hurts my ears so she closed my door but I can still hear them. I hear crying.

I want someone to hug me. Something warm would be very nice but my blankets are very cold. Pete is sitting next to me watching me write this.

I like Pete, he's a very cool penguin with a soft tummy. I touch his tummy and feel better but I still cry. A tear makes my paper wet and the pencil is ripping it. Alex is outside.

Maybe he is having a fun time? I want him to have a fun time.

Two wiggly worms are in the box for him, but I can't feed him.

This makes me sad again."

Glenn recalled the memories of the old house, how he used to be able to smile with his parents before everything crumbled before him.

That tarantula was his longest friend and he could remember the hours he would spend talking to the eight-legged creature. Its beady eyes would be looking at him, soaking in the attention that the child was providing. It was too bad his father threw out the cage one night, casting Alex to the wilderness in his backyard. If only there was a way he could rewind time to tell the child about what lay ahead. Maybe the shock of being on his own wouldn't be so heart-wrenching.