Chapter 1

At the time, he was probably seventeen or so (it was somewhere around that ballpark) and the winter was in full swing. Oddly enough, there hadn't been a single instance of snow. He was living in a town with a name he couldn't even remember - it was that forgettable - and worked at a small library after school. His foster family haven't come back in months.

The power and heat bills piled up by the front gate looked as neglected as the rest of the house. To keep himself safe from the elements, Glenn hoarded a pile of old clothes thrown out by a thrift store and warmed himself with candles whenever the nights became especially frigid. Whenever a leak appeared, he had to make do with brittle scrap wood and a limp thought; if there was a hole, one piece of wood and two nails should work, otherwise to all hell it shall be! As a result of Glenn's lacklustre carpentry skills, the house began to look more makeshift and rundown, and this probably worried the people nearby. There were multiple instances of curious bystanders offering aid, always with a smile and an ear to lend, but Glenn turned them down always.

It wouldn't be long before the house was repossessed, he mused. Why bother trying to prolong his stay?

A piece from the Eddie Higgins Trio was playing quietly in the background. Though, Glenn couldn't tell what track he was listening to. Adding in the listless visitors leafing through books at every corner and the southerly winds rattling the windows, the dinky speakers lagged behind like a wounded animal. Glenn shut his thoughts and mindlessly sorted shelves. The librarian occasionally dropped by to check up on him and Glenn gave the usual "everything's fine" talk and a smile to shoo him off. He liked the librarian. He was a charming man in his late sixties' and offered Glenn a position at the library when other businesses in town pushed him away. For that, Glenn was deeply grateful. But, he simply couldn't allow the librarian to become more involved with his life.

After the clock struck eight in the evening, Glenn pocketed his pay and strolled the lonely streets on his way home. He crossed by neighbourhoods flooded with warm and inviting lights, and others where the night consumed all life and the only thing he could rely on were the stars in the sky.

He trotted past a beaten up railroad and joined a gravel path to his house. Finally, Glenn stood at the front gate to the house, lost in thought as he imagined anyone able to live in the ratty shack. He unshackled the locks barricading the door and waited for signs of life from within.

But, as usual, it was just him at the end of the day. He undressed and sped through an ice-cold shower, still not thinking a single thought.

Glenn left to his room and dressed while keeping an eye on himself through a mirror nailed to his door. His bushy eyebrows and unkempt hair made him look much older than he actually was which helped steer people away. Laying low and blending in with the crowd also helped and subsequently protected him from others. The moment someone tried to approach him, he knew he'd gone overboard.

He purposely was unapproachable to protect himself from others. He was terrified of letting anyone close to his heart. Because of this, he was naturally wary of anyone who came up to him. It was like two magnets trying to connect in the wrong plane. The harder they tried to get closer to him, the harder he pushed back. Yet, he still wanted the illusion of warmth in his life. It would be untrue to say he hadn't thought of breaking down all his barriers and finally sparking a conversation with someone who wasn't one of his counsellors and of similar age to him. But that wasn't possible, no way.

The next day, Glenn found himself lacking the strength to leave his chair.

Classmates hurriedly packed their bags and dashed out the narrow door with thoughts of relaxing in their warm homes, eating fresh food, or even receiving a hug from their loved ones. Glenn, on the other hand, was in no rush to leave the emptying class. He carefully guided each object into his bag until his desk was finally clear, but he still couldn't muster the strength to stand up. Ms. Stewart, his history teacher, noticed he was still seated and approached the quiet boy.