The legend of the Saints

Legends tell of young men and women who wear armor known as Cloths and fight using energy known as Cosmo, in service of the goddess Athena. These brave individuals are known as Saints. Saori Kido was the past incarnation of the Greek Goddess of wisdom Athena. in this time there were a group of young men lead by a Pegasus. These Saints were the greatest as fought many evil foes and corrupt saints.

A Japanese teenager named Seiya, is training in Greece to win an armor known as "Cloth" which was originally from the 88 warriors called "Saints" from the goddess Athena. By awakening the energy called Cosmo, which covers all the universe, Seiya easily defeats his opponent in Athena's Sanctuary, winning the Pegasus Bronze Cloth. However, Seiya and his teacher Marin are attacked by the Saint Shaina the following night, who does not want Seiya to take the Cloth. Using the Pegasus Cloth, Seiya defeats Shaina, and then returns to his homeland, Japan. There, he tries to find his sister, whom he was separated by a deceased man, Mitsumasa Kido, to become a Saint. His granddaughter, Saori Kido, tells him that if he participates in a competition known as The Galaxian Wars against 9 other Bronze Saints, they will search for his sister.

In the first fight, Seiya faces Bear Geki, whom he defeats after breaking his arms. Hyōga, a half Russian teenager, finishes his training in Russia, and obtains the Cygnus Bronze Cloth. He then joins all the Saints fighting in Japan. As such, Hyōga enters the tournament and defeats Hydra Ichi by using his freezing Cosmo. In the next match Seiya faces the Dragon Saint, Shiryū, who manages to destroy his Cloth. Seeing that Shiryū's shield is unbreakable, Seiya tricks Shiryū to destroy his shield with his own arm protector, and both end fighting without Cloths. Seiya discovers Shiryū's weak point and is able to defeat him. In the next fight, Andromeda Shun easily overpowers Unicorn Jabu by using his Andromeda chains, but they are both interrupted by the Phoenix Saint, Ikki, who is revealed to be Shun's older brother, and he also wants to kill all the orphans that were sent to become Saints because his training place, the Death Queen Island, was the worst place he could be sent.

Ikki attacks Shun and steals the Gold Cloth, the strongest type of Cloth which was supposed to be given to the winner and runs away. Seiya, Shun, Hyōga and Shiryū try to stop him, but they are stopped by Ikki's soldiers, the Black Saints. Together they defeat the Black Saints and retrieve some pieces of the Gold Cloth. To prepare to their fight against Ikki, Shiryū goes to Jamir, where he can repair the Pegasus and Dragon Cloths. Ikki soon challenges the Bronze Saints to fight in Mount Fuji, but Shiryū does not appear. However, Seiya finds the Pegasus Cloth rebuilt in the Aokigahara caves from Fuji.

Seiya meets a little boy named Kiki, who explains him that his master, Mu, could repair the Cloths, but Shiryū had to lose most of his blood to do it, and thus, he is in a critical state. Seiya, Shun and Hyōga separate, and enter into different caves. Seiya faces the Black Pegasus Saint, and although he defeats him, he is seriously injured by one of his attacks. Meanwhile, Hyōga finds the Black Cygnus and defeats without problems. He then finds Ikki and starts fighting against him. Having received a message from Black Cygnus, Ikki easily overpowers Hyōga, and then attacks his brain to paralyze him.

As Hyōga is defeated, Shun finds Seiya injured and tries to save him but is attacked by Black Andromeda and Shun is forced to defeat him. However, Shun is then attacked by Black Dragon, but Shiryū appears to fight him. Although being still weak, Shiryū overpowers Black Dragon, who accepts his defeat. The three Bronze Saints then find Ikki. Hyōga also appears there, showing that a cross from his mother saved him. Hyōga then reflects Ikki's attack to make him reminisces how much he suffered while training, how he searched for the Phoenix Cloth, by killing his teacher, and by defeating the Black Saints.

However, Ikki shows no reaction to his own attack, and furiously pummels the Bronze Saints. Seiya is saved by the Gold Cloth, which allows Shiryū, Shun and Hyōga to give their Cosmo to Seiya. Seiya defeats Ikki, who realizes he has been selfish all time since all the other orphans also suffered while training. Then Mount Fuji is then attacked by an unknown enemy, and before it collapses, Ikki reveals to Seiya that every orphan is a son of Mitsumasa Kido, and thus they are all half brothers. Seiya is then transported by Mu to a beach, but he is suddenly attacked by Silver Saints, who are the middle rank between Bronze and Gold Saints. Seiya's teacher, Marin, also attacks him, but she escapes.