Chapter 17 • Goodbye

August 15, 1993. Derry, Maine. Richies POV.

I stood on the doorstep to the all too familiar house. I rang the doorbell as I look at the two bikes in the lawn, and I smile at the memories that come flooding back to me.

"Richie?" I hear the familiar voices of Will and Bradley, both shocked to see me, probably.

"Hey guys!" I greeted them with a smile.

"What're you doing back already, you weren't supposed to come until next week!" Will said, pulling me into a hug.

"I'm happy to see you man!" Bradley told me. And it broke my heart to have to tell them whats next.

"Hey, um- Can I come in?  We need to talk.." I smiled as I anxiously fidgeted with the sleeve of my sweatshirt.

"Sure, dude, how've you been! Its been a couple months!" Will asked.

"I've been good, you guys?"

"Yeah, I'm good too, uh- sit down wherever you want.." Bradley told me.

"So what'd you want to talk to us about? It sounds important.." Will asked, I felt bad because I don't want to say goodbye to them. Not now, not ever.

"Okay, so. Um- theres no easy way to say this, honestly, but uh- Im leaving Derry, for good this time, and I'm really really sorry, I just got off the plane and took a taxi here, but my point is.." I sigh. I look up at my two best friends, but all I can think of are the memories we've made and the times we have sat in this house, me in the La-Z-Boy, them two sitting in the loveseat.

"I'm sorry, guys, This isn't particularly easy for me, and I'm really, really sad about it but I- I don't know. I feel like I have a great opportunity to get our of here and I should take it. I have friends there, I even have a crush, who is one of my best friends, and I can't see myself staying here.

"I am going to miss you guys so, so much, but I felt like I should tell you guys before anyone else." I had started picking at my skin around my thumb nails and now they're bleeding, but it doesn't hurt as bad as saying goodbye. I know, cringey, right?

"That's great, Richie! I'm going to miss you, and honestly, what I've heard from your letters, life there is really great, and we'll have to visit sometime!" Will suggested

"Ooh yeah! That'd be fun! We could meet your friends, maybe even your cruuush!" Bradley said, smirking at me.
"Whats her name?"

"Um.. Well I- His name is Eddie.." I looked down and smiled at the mention of him name, but I don't know how they'll react.

"Thats great, Rich! Its good that you've some people you can trust!" Bradley smiled and I knew that they accept me, and I now I can't even remember why I doubted them in the first place.

"Thank you, guys." I take a deep breath. "Really, for everything. Im gonna miss you guys, but I'll come visit too.." I stand up, while motioning for them to also stand up.

I wrapped my arms around the both of them, Will on the left, Bradley on the right. And for a moment, I almost feel like everything is going to be the same as it was. That I'm going to start school next week with Will and Bradley, and I forget about everything for a moment, because right now is all that matters.

"I love you guys, I hope you'll remember that."

"We love you too, Tozier."

We keep talking for a couple more minutes, and Bradley goes up to get a glass of water.

"Hey Richie? Can I tell you something?" Will asked.

"O-of course you can, go ahead."

"I sort of- have a crush on Bradley. And by that I mean I've been in love with him all summer." Will told me, blushing, obviously embarrassed.