Riley

I don't know why I'm doin' this to myself. I don't know why I'm just sittin' here in class, barley listening to Mr. Matthews lesson, and staring at the back of Riley's head. I bite my lip like I do when I think of her and look down at my notes. Unfortunately, my notes are a doodle of a heart that says "Lucas & Riley". I see Mr. Matthews walking around the room as he talks, so I quickly cover my paper and begin to copy down what's on the blackboard as fast as I can.

"Lucas, you're a little behind on your notes.", Mr. Matthews says as he walks up behind me. "Oh, sorry Sir. I guess I just started daydreamin'. I didn't mean to.", I say, continuing to write down my notes. He looks at my papers and slides out the doodle. I look away with embarrassment and fear at what he'll say. But, instead of making a big deal about it, he just leans down and whispers, "See me after class please." I give him a nod of disappointment and continue writing my notes.

After class, I go to Mr. Matthews desk and stand there ask he closes the door. "Mr. Matthews...", I begin, but he cuts me off. "Lucas, I'm not going rude to you like I have the past few months about you and Riley.", he says, sitting down in his chair. "About that doodle Sir...", I try and say, but he cuts me off again. "Lucas I'm not upset with you.", he says with a small grin. "You're not?", I ask him with confusion. "No. I know that Riley likes you. A lot.", he says with a large breath.

I laugh a little as he continues to talk to me. "The reason I'm protective of her with you, is because she's only thirteen. You're almost fifteen. So, you see why I'm worried here right?", he asks me. "Yeah. I do.", I reply. "I just don't want her to get hurt.", he tells me with a concerned tone in his voice. "Sir, I would never hurt Riley. She's amazin' and I could never see myself being mean, rude, or even angry with her.", I tell him with all honesty.

"I know Lucas. You're a great kid, but if you hurt Riley, I will hurt you.", he says with a small grin. "I know Sir. But you don't have to worry.", I say with a smile. "Okay. Get out of here.", he says, moving his head towards the door. Right as I'm about to leave, he says, "Lucas, get those note from somebody." I laugh and say, "Yes Sir." Once I'm out of his room, I head on to my locker and see Maya and Riley talking at their lockers.

So, after my talk with Mr. Matthews, I decide to do something I've wanted to do for a while. "Hey guys.", I say as I walk over to them. "Lucas!", Riley says excitedly, waving her hand. "Hand.", Maya says. "Lucas.", Riley says again more calmly. "Hey. So Riley, I was wandering...if...maybe...you wanna do something this Saturday. Just...me and you?", I ask with a smile, my stomach full of nerves.

"Just you and me? The two of us? Together?", she asks nervously, but excitedly. "Yeah. We could go to a movie or something.", I reply calmly. She stares at me with a nervous smile, looks at Maya, then loudly whispers, "What do I say?" "Say yes and smile.", Maya replies with no emotion. I laugh as Riley faces me again and says, "Yes. I would love too." "Great. So, Saturday?", I ask again as I begin to walk away. "Saturday.", she says with a smile.

I smile back and head over to my locker; feeling probably the most excited I've ever felt. I quickly put my books in my locker and, when I close it, there's Farkle standing next me. "Farkle! You scared me bud.", I say with a small laugh, holding my chest where my heart is. "I saw what you just did.", he replies with a grin. "What?", I ask him, confused. "You asked Riley out...on a date.", he answers with a large smile.

"It's not a date, Farkle. We're just goin' to hang out.", I tell him. He then gives me a look and says, "Lucas, I know what asking someone on a date sounds like. Well, not that I've asked anyone out...or even have been asked out. But you know what I mean." I laugh and say, "Yeah. I know what you mean." "So do you admit you asked her out on a date?", he asks me. I begin to blush a little and say, "Yes, Farkle. I asked Riley out on a date."

He gets a large gin on his face and asks, "Are you nervous?" "A little bit. But, I'm not going to anything that you think someone does on a date. I'm just going to act natural and hope things work out. And if they do, then maybe I'll ask her out again or we'll just stay friends.", I tell him with all honesty. "Then Lucas, some advice.", he says, making me lean in. "Don't blow it.", he whispers in my ear. "I don't plan to.", I say, ruffling his hair as I walk away from him.