Family News

As I finish up my work for today, I look out at all the farmland. I tip my hat and watch as the sun sets over the large fields. "Lucas! Time for dinner!", I hear my mom yell. Oh, I guess I should tell you who I am. My name is Lucas Friar, I'm fourteen-years-old, and I live in Austin, Texas. I've lived here my entire life and...I love it. I don't want any of it to change.

I pat one of my horses on its side and run on to the house. I'm about to run in, when my mom stops me and says, "Check your boots." "Yes ma'am.", I say with a smile, remembering how I always forget to check my boots. Luckily they're clean this time. I smile and quickly wash my hands and face; ready for some of my moms famous food.

I come in as she sets a plate of chicken down on the table. I sit down with a smile and say, "This looks great mom." "Thank you.", she replies with a smile, setting down some mashed potatoes and gravy. My dad soon sits down with us and says, "Looks as good as always." He gives my mom a kiss as she sits down. My Pappy Joe and Uncle Buster soon join us and we bow our heads to say grace.

Once we finish, I get my plate loaded with food and eat some of the chicken. "This is delicious.", I say with a grin. My mom smiles and elbows my dad for some reason. I look at them and watch them argue for a minute with their eyes. "What's goin' on?", I ask them, takin' a drink of water. Finally, my dad looks at me and begins to speak. "Lucas, we've got some news we've got to tell ya.", he says in a happy but guilty tone.

"What is it?", I ask him, my curiosity peaked...but my stomach in a few nervous knots. "Well, after a long debate and some thinking, we've decided...we're going to move to New York.", he tells me. I basically drop my fork when I hear him say this. "What?", I ask, a little confused. "After you got into that fight in school and the fact that you've lived here for your whole life, we thought it might be good for you.", my mom tells me.

I look from my mom to my dad, from Buster to Pappy, and then back to my parents. "But...I don't wanna leave.", I say with all honesty, not wanting to sound rude. "We're sorry. But we've already got a house there.", dad tells me. "What's goin' to happen this place?", I ask them. "Pappy Joe and Buster are going to stay here. It's just going to be the three of us.", mom tells me.

I think for a moment, trying to process this, then ask, "May I be excused please?" "Lucas...", my dad begins, but I politely interrupt him. "May I please be excused?", I ask again, looking down at my plate. My dad looks at me, then finally says, "Yeah. Go head." I stand up and head towards the front door. I go out and head out into the field where a few of the horses are.

Once I'm pretty far out, I check where I am and just sit down in the grass. I feel the cool night air of Texas against my face, the wind making my hair blow a little. The air smells like it feels; sweet and fresh. I then decide to lie down and look up into the sky. All the stars up there...I won't be able to see them from New York. The lights from the buildings and all the airplanes will make it impossible for me to see them.

I suddenly feel somethin' on my face. At first I think it's some dew from the grass or rain that was starting. But then I realize what it is. It's...a tear. I'm actually cryin' about leavin'. But...I can't help it. I've lived here forever and now I've gotta move to New York. I soon hear footsteps behind me. I sit up, but instead of seeing what I thought was my dad, I see one of my horses.

"Hey boy.", I say with a smile, standing up and petting his mane. As I'm petting him, I remember something. I'm going to have to leave all my horses. I've got twenty-four of them and I have to leave every single one. I continue to pet him as a few more tears form in my eyes. "I'm gonna miss you boy.", I tell him, kissing his snout as another tear rolls down my cheek.

I few minutes go by and I head back to my house, making sure that I've wiped all the tears off my face. I walk in and see my mom doing the dishes and dad, Uncle Buster and Pappy watching TV. "Hey Lucas. Are you alright?", my mom asks, setting down her dish towel and walking over to me. "I'm fine.", I say with a small smile. "Okay. We saved you're plate if you wanna finish eating.", she says with a smile.

"I'm not that hungry anymore.", I reply. She kisses my cheek and pats me one the back. "When do we leave?", I ask her. "Next week.", she tells me. I nod and head to my room without another word. But, I can't really leave like that. "Goodnight.", I say to everyone with a small grin. "Night Lucas.", Uncle Buster and dad say together. "Night.", Pappy says, not taking his eyes off the TV. "Goodnight.", mom says with a smile. I smile back and head on into my room.