Packing & Clarity

It's still a few days before we move, but my mom wants me to start packing; seeing as how I've got a ton of stuff to pack up. The first things I pack up are my clothes. I pick out what I'm going to wear for the next few days, but pack all the rest. I do the same with all my shoes and boots; I'm choosing to where my cowboy boots the day we leave.

I pack a few more things, then take a break; still not wanting to move. I walk into our living room and watch as everyone puts pictures and vases into boxes. My mom looks my way and asks, "Hey Lucas. How packing goin'?" "It's goin'.", I say with a small grin. "Lucas, come on. You can't tell me you're not the least bit excited.", my dad says, packing a bowl in a box.

"Not really. I mean...I'm just used the farm. And if this is because of that fight that got me kicked out of school...I apologized for that as honestly and for as long as I could.", I reply with a small sound of guilt. That fight was pointless. I never should have even been a part in it. "And we excepted the apologies. But like we told you, we think it might be good for you.", mom replies.

I nod my head and walk back to my room. I sit down on my bed and look around my room. I've already taken down a few pictures, my bookshelf is half empty, and my closet has almost nothing in it. But, I try not to think of it as me moving out. Instead, it's like I'm going on vacation; but not knowing if I'm even coming back. I shake the thought out my head and pack a few more things.

"Lucas. Door for you.", my father tells me, a tone of anger in his voice. I stop what I'm doing and walk out into the living room. "Who's at the...", I begin to ask, before stopping my words and myself dead in my tracks. I stand there and see my best friend Zay Babineaux in the doorway. "Zay...what are you doin' here?", I ask him with a small smile.

"I heard you were movin' and I wanted to come talk to ya.", Zay says with a grin. I look over at my dad, who has a look of anger on his face. "Can we talk in your room?", Zay asks, looking at my dad for the answer. I look at him and he nods a yes at us. "Come on in.", I say, walking towards my room. My dad shoots Zay a look as he walks through my door. "Okay Zay. What do you want to talk about?", I ask him as I close the door behind us.

He sits down on my bed and says, "Your room looks weird like this." "I know. Is there anything in particular you wanted to talk to me about?", I ask him, still confused about why he's even here. "Can't I just come to say goodbye to my best buddy?", he asks me, picking up one of my pictures and putting in a random box. I quickly rush over to him and say, "Don't touch that. That's one of my favorite pictures."

"It's a picture of one of your horses.", Zay says. "It's a picture of my first horse. It's...special to me.", I tell him, taking the picture out of the box and putting it back on my nightstand. "Look, I don't want to get in a fight.", Zay says as I sit on my bed. "I don't either. You startin' a fight is what got me expelled. Remember?", I tell him. "I know. I said I was sorry for that.", he tells me.

"Then...what else do you have to say?", I ask him as he sits next to me. "I just...wanna make sure we're cool. I don't want you leaving me thinking you hate me.", he tells me. I look at him and say, "I don't hate you. I don't hate anyone. Of course we're cool." "Friends?", he asks, making a fist. I smile and say, "No. Best friends." I then bump his fist and we give each other a quick hug.

We open the door and see my dad still standing there; watching the door for when we came out. "See ya Lucas.", Zay says with a smile as he walks out the door. "See ya.", I say with a grin as he closes the door. I look at my dad when he's gone and he asks, "What did he want?" "He just wanted to make sure we were still friends.", I tell him with a small smile. "Are you?", he asks back, still no real emotion in his voice.

"Yeah. We are.", I tell him. "Why? I mean, he's the reason you got kicked out of school.", he asks, looking at me with confusion and anger. "I know. But I forgive him. I was defending someone I care about. And...I really do want to stay friends with him.", I explain. He doesn't say anything for a minute, but when he does, all he says is, "Go finish packing."

I nod and walk back into my room. I begin to pack up a few more things, some hats and my iPod. But, the entire time, I think of that dumb fight. See, Zay has a, how can I put this, a big mouth. And, on a few occasions, it can get him into trouble. That's what happened the day of that fight. Zay said the wrong thing to the wrong person and needed me to help him. But when I did, I got a little to upset and got into a huge fight with the other guy. By the time we were pulled off of each other, we were both bruised and bleeding. I was expelled the next day and my dad never could forgive Zay for what happened.