One Last Ride

So it's official, tomorrow we leave for New York. I'm still upset, but I'm trying to look at positive things that I'll gain. I'll get to make more friends, I'll get to see the Statue of Liberty, and I get to go back to school. After being expelled, I haven't been back to school anywhere. The only thing is, I'm going to have to start a grade behind where I was. But, I'm choosing to ignore that detail of it.

"Lucas, do you have everything packed up?", my mom asks as I walk out of my room. "Yeah. Just a few more small things to pack up.", I tell her, putting on my work gloves. Right as I'm about to go out the door, my mom stops me by saying, "You don't have to work today." I look at her and ask, "Why not?" "Uncle Buster already did your chores.", she answers.

"Why did he do that?", I ask her. "Because in New York you won't be doing any farm work. So, I thought it'd be good to get you out of that mind set.", she tells me with a small grin. "But I wanted to work today.", I tell her, taking off my gloves. "Don't worry about it sweet heart. Just go and make sure you didn't forget to pack anything important.", she tells me with a smile.

I look out the door once before walking back to my room and making sure I've got everything I'm goin' to need in New York. And, sure enough, everything is packed except for one thing; the picture of my horse. But, I don't pack it. I'm leaving it there until the morning so that, when I wake up, it will still be there. So, after zipping my last bag, I quickly change into my pajamas and lie down in my bed.

"Goodnight Lucas.", my mom says, standing in my doorway. "Night mom.", I say, turning myself to look at the picture. I see my mom smile and walk on to her room. The last thing I see before I go close my eyes is the picture of the horse; which gives me a great idea. I quickly set an alarm on my phone for six, two hours before we have to get up and catch our plane. Once it's set, I smile as I look at the picture and close my eyes.

Soon, my alarm goes off and I wake up with a smile. I take a quick shower and get dressed; not waking up one person in the house. I grab my hat and slip on my boots and walk out the front door. I run over to the horses stable and find the one in my picture. "Mornin' girl.", I say with a smile as I approach her, petting her main and putting my saddle on her. I jump up on her, gently snap my reins, and she trots out of the stable.

"Okay girl. Here we go. One last ride on my last day here. You ready?", I ask her, looking down in here eye. She blinks and I smile, kissing the top of her head. I snap the reins again and we begin to move. We start out slow, but soon, we begin to pick up more and more speed. Pretty soon, we're at top speed and I feel like I'm flying over the fields. "WOOO!!!", I yell, a large smile on my face.

I ride her for probably an hour before finally taking her back to the stables. "Thanks girl.", I say with a grin, kissing her snout and wrapping my arms around her neck. I lock the stable and head back into the house; still no one awake. I look at the clock and see it's seven thirty, still thirty minutes till we have to be up. So, I take another shower to wash the smell of horse off me and change into the outfit I'm wearing on the plane ride.

Then, all I do is sit in my room and wait for everyone to wake up in twenty-five minutes. I look around my room at all the bare walls, naked shelves, and the empty closet. I look at the suitcases in my floor and still can't believe I am actually moving. I then look at the clock. Eight o'clock. I take a breath as I hear everyone begin to wake up. In about another two hours, I'm going to be on a plane to New York. And...I still don't know if or when I'll ever be back in Texas.