Prologue

The woman slips into the room in the safe cover of night. She had thwarted magic trap after magic trap, spell after spell to get here: The queen's bedroom. The woman smiles. 'That bitch laying in that fancy bed was going to pay. Yes she was...' The woman thinks, and grins. She looks around the room, and sees...The basket. The woman's smile widens, and she walks over. In the basket, was an infant, a tiny, tiny thing- much smaller than her baby. Picking up the child, she reaches into a pouch at her side and pours sleeping powder on the child's face. Sleeping powder was cheap, but what was to come next was both costly, and risky. The baby looks at her with wise, knowing eyes, and the woman looks away. Making no eye contact, she open's the child's mouth and pours a green potion into the babe's mouth. The bitch's kid swallows, and shivers, body twisting and forming something new...a baby imp. The imp woman grins, and steps out the window of the castle, flying away into the night with the baby.

The next day, when the Queen found out her child was gone, she sent her best hunters to track down the kidnapper. Unfortunately, when they found the imp woman, the baby was gone. The imp lady had grinned, and said simply "The baby is in the human realm." Outraged, the queen demanded why, and the woman replied with "Because I want my first born. The rules say every imp family has to give up a child to be given to the human realm as a changeling, and I did."
The queen of course went back to the castle, and prepared to go to the human realm herself, but at the last moment, the Royal Advisor reminded her of the rule she had recently made about changelings: 'No parent of a changeling can have any contact or interaction at all with his or her child until the child comes to the realm of the fae of his/her own terms.'
The queen dropped her bag and cursed the universe and everything in it for putting this burden on her. Then, composing herself, she went back to her throne room, and thought.