Part 15

September 12th 1978

Harry

I look back and forth between Hermione and the clock Nervously as she continues to steadfastly ignore me.

It's been five days and counting since I outed her secret to the marauders and she still hasn't said more then a word to me.

I made an effort all week to sit next to her in class, at lunch, dinner, and breakfast. I even followed her to the library at studiously say with her for the four hours she did research, and here I am now, having been sitting here watching her read her book for an hour and a half, and nothing. Not. A. word.

That's it.

"Hermione, please just talk to me!" I groan, shutting the potions textbook I had open for no reason. She doesn't even lift her eyes from the page. "There's nothing to say." She says indifferently, brushing me off. Good thing I get my incessantly annoying personality from my dad!

"Mione."

"Hermione."

"You know your a lot like Moony, Mione."

"Moony, Mione, even sound the same."

"Moony, Mione, Moony, Mione, Moo—"

She slams the book shut with a loud thud. Perfect. "What!" She asks with a glare sent from the deep dark depths of hell. I let out a sigh of relief, tossing the book in my lap. "Ah, finally!" She gasps in horror as she looks between me and the textbook. "Look, I'm sorry I told Sirius, but he deserved to know."

She's still looking shell shocked between me and the book on the ground. "We—" she points a stunned finger at the book before turning back to me. "We'll discuss that later—but I don't care if Sirius had a right to know because you had no right to tell him." Her expression goes from one of surprised horror, to one of anger and frustration.

"I know—" I start but she cuts me off. "No Harry, you don't. Do you have any idea what would happen if someone found out?" She asks and I scrunch my eyebrows in confusion. "Hermione, none of them would tell anyone, you know that, they're family—"

"You think that matters?" She inturrupts, standing from her seat on the common room couch. "You know secrets spread like wildfire, whether you want them to or not, and this is the one secret I'd rather have to myself." I shake my head huffing at her vague answers. "But why, Hermione? you finally have the chance to get to know your family, why wouldn't you want that? I don't understand."

She lets out a cruel laugh shaking her head. "How could you understand Harry? Your a potter." I glare at her. "What's that supposed to mean. She crosses her arms lifting her chin defiantly. "It means," she emphasizes the word. "That of course you have no qualms about telling people of your family, your parents are war hero's and saints." She throws her hands up in the air. "I'd be surprised if you did."

I roll my eyes. "Hermione, it doesn't matter—"

"But it does Harry!" She yells. "It does matter, and the only reason you think it doesn't, is because you don't have to worry about it!" I cross my arms frowning. "Do you have any idea what that would be like for me? How much that would change?" She puts a hand to her chest, her eyes starting to water.

I take a step forward. "Hermione, I
understand—" I start to say but she cuts me off. "No Harry, you don't." She says firmly. "You don't know what it's like to bear the weight of this name—"

"I bore the weight of my own—" she shakes her head. "It's not the same and you know it! Because your name came with glory and
pride—and yes it was hard to live up to those expectations of greatness, but at least they expected greatness." Her face crumbles and she lets out a small sob. "my name, it comes with a legacy of Evil and darkness."