Meeting the People

Start from the beginning

"Maybe not by blood, but by spirit. You have a kindered and gentle soul. One I will gladly spend my life with. Can you find your way back to your teepee?"

She blushed. "Yes."

"Good. Hurry and change into the dancing dress our seemstress has made for you. The dancing will begin soon."

She turned and hurried towards the tent.

"Cheif, hello."

"Please call me by name, Tall."

"How long were you standing there?"

"A long while. I have not seen you with such a look in your eyes since the day your mother died."

" Rock, what do you suggest I do? She will be returning to her family soon. Surely you heard of her families views on us."

"Do what your soul tells you, Walking Tall, fore I cannot answer that for you. I am only here as a guide to the people."

"What would you guide me to do?"

" Are you fond of her? Would you spend your life being devoted to her and her alone? Would you face temptation to seek other flesh?"

"No Rock. She is the only one I see."

"Then follow what you desire. Love her with all the love your heart holds and make it known to her."

She entered the teepee. She found the dancing dress neatly folded on the floor. She shoved it on. The dress was short. It stopped well above her knees. She blushed. If she lifted her arms, Tall's people would see her underwear.She exited the tent only to find Tall standing there waiting for her return. His face brightened. "You look heavenly. Turn around."

She did as he asked. She waited calmly as he braided her hair.

After he was done she turned to face him again. He stuck a feather in her hair and drew markings on her face. "There you are offically a Native American. No one will ever know," He smiled. "Even if you do look like a ghost."

"I can't help it so hush." She shoved him playfully.

He pulled her close. "You just need to spend some time in the sun. You already have a hint of red in your skin.You'll be tanner by tomorrow."

She looked at him with amusement. She had not noticed her skin burning. She was so busy enjoying the day that she had forgotten how easily she burns.

"Come, Claire. The dancing will start soon and I must get ready." He lead me to a small clearing that the tents did not occupy. there was a fire already going in the middle. It was huge! It seemed to touch the sky. She sat down near the edge of the clearing. So much has happened. She needed to know what fate the man that raped her had ahead of him, but there was no way of knowing such things. Sometimes Claire wished psychics where in fact real so that she could know the things she desired would come true, but she knew what Tall would say. 'Good things will come to those who wait for it.'

Tall stood infront of her. He was dressed in some sort of pants that Claire had never seen before. His chest was bare except for the painted designs all over it and his face. His hair was loose with a small braid containing a feather. He had earrings in his ears with feathers dangling from both of them.

He looked stunning. He smiled. " Do I look well?"

"Far beyond 'well', Tall." She said easily.

She was about to stand but Tall told her to be still and listen to the music.

They began to dance as others came and gathered in the clearing. Some danced or swayed with them. Others just hummed to the beat of the drums. She closed her eyes, breathing in the air- listening to the music as Tall had instructed her to do. Soon, to soon, the music had ended and Claire was back at the fire. Tall picked her up, setting her on her feet.

"Come dance with me?"

"I won't end up married will I?"

He chuckled. "No. Just a dance."

She smiled. "Then gladly."

She didn't know how to dance the way he did and she grew worried, but as the music continued and Tall was there to guide her she felt the music and found her body moving to it on its own. A glimpse of Talls exspresion caught her attention. She laughed and continued to dance. For the first time, Claire was having fun.

The song was over all to soon again. Claire sighed.

"That was amazing."

Tall grapped Claire and pulled her close. "You danced beautifully, Claire"

"I did?"

" You did. You danced like you have been born an Indian."

" I...I-"

He kissed her, pooring all his passion into one long kiss. When he pulled away all she wanted was more. He smiled at her look of desire. "We have yet to explore the night. Let us enjoy the night before we go into our sleeping chambers."

She blushed at the choice of his words. She sighed and leaned into Tall. For now at least, he was her rock. He sat by her side, never going out of eye sight and never letting her get out of hers.

"I am so happy for you," Hunting Bear beamed in his native tongue.

"I am happy to have found her,Hunting Bear. She is worthy to be hear." Tall responded in the same tongue.

Hunting Bear smiled. "That is what I have heard. She is very majestic in her thinking, is she not?"

"Very." Tall laughed. Hunting Bear walked away, laughing with him.

Tall returned to his quiet self. He thought of the future and if Claire would be in it. He hoped so. He had come to love her in this short time. Her black hair was beautiful, long and her face was that of his own kind. She had skinny cheeks, full lips and perfectly sculpted brown eyes. He had come to desire and know her face and he didn't want to lose her.

"Claire, what will happen when you leave?"

She thought for a moment. She was not sure what Tall's question was meaning exactly.

"I'm not sure Tall. I love this place. I already don't want to leave it. Its a refresher from my family. Are your people always so energetic and lively?"

He smiled. "Yes. We live life of the earth. We speak no lies. We are a caring people and always help our brothers and sisters so there is no hate to have."

Claire smiled. She enjoyed Tall's noble thinking. It was a nice change from the selfish thinking her family usually does. Claire sighed and laid on Talls lap. He played with the tip of her braid. It calmed her and she drifted off into a deep sleep.

Tall waited until she was sleeping soundy then he picked her up and took her to his teepee. He laid her down softly before covering her with a thin blanket. He said a prayer for just before exiting and returning to his people.