Chapter Thirty-Two: The Satan Pit (Mary's Version)

Start from the beginning

"We have to hurry! We're running out of time!" Father begged, running around the sparking console. I was crying as the device descended from the ceiling. Mother placed the locket into the frame, and then placed the device on my head.

"Is it going to hurt?" I sobbed, fear causing my hands to shake. My mother took my small hands in hers, squeezing them tightly.

"Yes," She admitted, "But not for long. Its only for a moment, and then it'll be all over, I promise. I promise you my love."

She grabbed my face, pressing her lips against my forehead before pulling back to look at me. Her eyes were filled with tears.

"Darling, we're sorry. We're so, so sorry." She whispered.

'We're crashing! The engines are failing, there's nothing we can do!" Father shouted. Mother walked back to the console, placing her hand on the switch. She paused, turning to look at me.

"Be strong, my darling girl. We love you so much. You are going to do such great things. Build a life for yourself. Find love. Do that for your Mum and Dad."

"No! NO! NOOO-"

She flipped the switch...and that's where the memory cuts off. Overwhelming pain, and then...nothing. Blackness, until I woke up in that alleyway with no memory off how I got there or who I was. The rest is history, as they say. I survived on the streets, I met Sarah Jane. We travelled together and solved mysteries, and then I met the Doctor.

This is who I am. I was once a little girl from Gallifrey who wanted to see the universe rather than be told about it. I wanted to help people, to learn, to understand. My parents even gave up their entire livelihoods in pursuit of that need...and they died for it. They died so many times...but they taught me to love. They taught me to be clever, and kind and strong and compassionate. All of the things that make me who I am, all that I've gotten from them, its all been inside of me this entire time...I just didn't know why.

But now I do. I know who I am now...who I've always been, but most importantly at this particular moment...

I know how to fly the TARDIS. 

"Right...now that we've gotten that properly established." I muttered, slamming the operater's guide shut. I shoved the locket into the pocket of my jacket and took off running through the TARDIS corridors until I reached the console room. I ran around the console, flipping a switch was prompted the navigation system to be clearly displayed on the screen. I smiled at the familiar sight of it. "Hello old friend."

I began rapidly flipping switches and hitting buttons, attempting to scan for any life forms in the surrounding area. If I could find an exact location, I could lock onto it and simply materialize the TARDIS right where the Doctor and his new friends are located. I also ran around to the comm controls and adjusted the frequency to account for the Black Hole interference, which if done properly, should give me access to-

"Given the emergency, I recommend strategy nine."

"Ah, hello!" I exclaimed to myself, reaching up and pulling my hair into a ponytail. 

~~~PRESENT~~~

A giant roar cut off the Beast's transmission, and the crew from the base began launching into panic.

"What the hell was that?" Danny asked.

"Doctor, what did it mean?"

"What do we do?"

"Captain, what's the situation with Strategy Nine?"

"We've lost pictures, did anyone get an analysis?"