10. summer breeze (makes me feel fine)

As the July days slowly melted away into August, we found ourselves standing at the entrance of the bustling mall, our hearts brimming with anticipation for the approaching school year, just a week away. Cynthia, Kim, and I were on a quest to find the perfect outfits to make a grand entrance on that first day.

Among the kaleidoscope of colors and fabrics, my eyes locked onto a plaid mini skirt that seemed to beckon me. I lifted it off the rack, reveling in its potential, when I felt a gentle tap on my shoulder. Turning around, I found Prince, his eyes twinkling with mischief and a sly smile dancing on his lips.

"Hey," he greeted softly, a hint of playful intrigue in his voice as his eyes grazed over the mini skirt in my hand. "That's cute," he complimented.

Attempting to maintain composure, I rolled my eyes playfully, concealing the blush that threatened to reveal how much his flattery affected me. "What are you doing here?" I asked with a touch of annoyance, though his presence secretly thrilled me.

Prince chuckled, his eyes dancing with amusement. "Could ask you the same thing," he retorted playfully, his gaze still lingering on the mini skirt. "Looking for a bold fashion statement, huh?"

My cheeks flushed, caught between embarrassment and joy at his teasing banter. "Maybe," I quipped, feigning indifference as I placed the skirt back on the rack.

His laughter was infectious, and he casually strolled alongside me. "You're doing just fine in the style department, trust me," he replied, flashing a charming grin that sent my heart aflutter.

"We're shopping for school clothes," I murmured shyly, refocusing my attention on the the racks.

As we shared stories and laughter, Prince's voice took on a genuine tone. "We're on the hunt for some threads, too," he revealed. At that, I looked up and caught a glimpse of Andre and Terry playfully jesting outside the store, radiating an aura of camaraderie.

"The yellow sun shines every day, huh?" Cynthia quipped, prompting a giggle from Kim as the two of them rejoined me, clothes folded over their arms. "Stalker," she teased Prince.

Prince's eyes twinkled mischievously as he shrugged off Cynthia's playful remark. "I prefer to call it 'being in the right place at the right time'," he countered with a wink.

As we continued browsing through the racks, the conversation flowed effortlessly, and the boys' presence turned out to be a welcome surprise. Soon, we were all laughing and sharing stories about our summer adventures.

After a while, we decided to take a break and grabbed some ice cream from a nearby stand. Sitting on a bench near a sparkling fountain, we enjoyed our treats while people-watching and chatting about anything and everything. It was one of those carefree moments where time seemed to slow down, and we relished each other's company.

We spent the next hour browsing through racks of clothes, trying on various outfits, and sharing honest opinions about each other's choices. It was a delightful and carefree afternoon, filled with laughter, jokes, and genuine camaraderie.

After a few more stores, we decided to take a break and refuel at the mall's food court. Sitting on a bench near a sparkling fountain, we enjoyed our meals while people-watching and chatting about anything and everything– our upcoming classes, the teachers we were hoping to have, and the exciting events we anticipated during the school year. It was one of those carefree moments where time seemed to slow down, and we relished each other's company.

....

The night before the first day of school arrived, and I found myself once again seated in the living room as my mom carefully worked the hot comb through my hair.