The Empty Conference Room

I must be some kind of writing GOD. Okay, maybe not god, but I'm damn good at updating this shit! Second one today, third one in the past forty eight hours. FUCK YES!

I couldn't breath. Everyone was looking at me, unmoving, with looks of shock and horror on their faces. I couldn't tell if they were horrified that I had a cancerous sister or if they were horrified because they knew that Madison had done this on purpose to humiliate me. Probably both.

I couldn't move. It was like I could feel the stares of all the people in the room, boring right into me. Even the people behind me were watching me, despite the fact that they couldn't see my face, which was a mix of complete terror and betrayal.

I couldn't calm my head down enough to think of what to say or do.

After a minute of complete and utter silence I slowly stepped forward, my vision partially blurred with the water filling up along my lash line. I simply held out my hand to Madison, and she shoved my phone into my palm roughly with a victorious smirk.

"Why didn't you tell us that you had a sister in the ICU?" she asked innocently, and I looked over her shoulder.

Olivia had her hand up to her mouth, almost as if she was holding back something she wanted to say, but her eyes were enough. Dylan had his head down with his hands shoved into his pockets, and I just knew he felt terrible for me. And Leo. Leo was the worst.

He looked so conflicted. Angry, sad, horrified, disbelieving.

"Because it really wasn't your business, Madison." I whispered softly, feeling something hot slip down my face.

And I then I turned and sped walked out of the room as fast as I could, keeping my head down to try and avoid catching the eyes of others. I didn't need to see their pity. I didn't need to see or hear what they thought about the display or my family or my life. If they were angry because I didn't tell them, then too bad.

I mad it to my dressing room in record time, but I knew that eventually they would look there. As much as I wanted to avoid being over dramatic and pathetic, I did need a little bit of time to decide what I was going to do. I needed to figure out what I was going to say to everyone, how I was going to address Madison, and so many other things.

And I couldn't do that if everyone was banging down my door, trying to talk to me. So I jogged past my dressing room and continued through the halls, most of them looking vaguely familiar. When I passed under the archway to set six I knew that I was retracing my steps from yesterday when I had been running away from Jason.

I made it to the props hallway, where random and miscellaneous crap was scattered and piled over the tiles of the floor, and found the banana that had been torn open at the top. I crawled into it as quickly as I could, curling into a ball at the very back of it.

The first thing I did was cry. I hadn't cried in weeks, mostly because I had nothing to cry about. I had been so happy, so fulfilled in what I had been doing that crying seemed like the stupidest thing in the world.

When I was finished with that nonsense, I wiped my eyes with the back of my sweatshirt sleeve and tucked my hair behind my ears.

My phone rang then, with 'Olivia' as the caller. I declined the call and then turned down my ringer to make sure they couldn't find me, and then clicked it off.

I knew Madison hadn't liked me because I was supposed to be all lovey-dovey with Leo, but I really didn't think she would go that far. She had snooped through my phone, and I felt exposed, violated even.

All of my friends now knew the most important detail of my life, something I hadn't been planning to tell them until I had known them for a couple more weeks, maybe even months.