Her brows lifted curiously. "You've only been here, how long? And you've already come to this conclusion?"

"Doesn't take long to see the problem," I said as I scratched my chin. "I've been around androids my entire life." I narrowed my gaze. "As I'm sure you're aware."

With her arms folded over his chest, Katherine tapped her fingers on her arms. She clicked her teeth. "And what's wrong with my androids? Other than the obvious."

My brows raised. I had my definition of obvious. If she meant the issues Frank had told me the day I met him, about the androids neglecting their responsibilities and refusing us? Sure. That was one problem. But I needed her to get to the root of the problem.

But I couldn't outright say that, could I? Based on her androids' actions last week, I felt like any negativity toward her character, or her company would bring a violent response. I wasn't up for being shot at again. Victoria and Reggie wouldn't always be there to help.

Shifting in my stool, I faced her. "Based on what happened with Reggie—"

"Reggie?" Katherine's brows pinched as she scanned the room. Reggie hadn't moved since the moment she walked in. He remained attentive, listening; I was sure he was scanning her behaviors. Victoria always made a habit of doing that. And if she had tweaked his programming, he had to do the same.

"Yeah, Reggie." I cleared my throat. "Lyons needs to think of androids as people. You wouldn't treat humans the way you treat your machines, would you?"

Katherine's mouth hung open. A breath left her, audible. I wasn't sure if it was confusion or shock. But when she touched her chin and cocked a brow, I went with the latter. "You're saying the real issue... is my technicians?"

Technicians, workers, yeah sure. Victoria stepped away from the door, rounding the island to come by my side. Frank shifted closer but remained silent. I knew why; tension settled in the air, so thick you could slice it. I tongued my cheek as Victoria placed her hand on my shoulder, gently squeezing.

A warning. Stay calm. Don't agitate her.

"Look," I waved a hand in the air, brushing off her reaction, "I'm just saying the process of selecting and teaching androids can be different. Adjusted, even, if I make sense."

Katherine balanced her weight on one foot. "And the androids? Isn't there a problem with them?"

I wanted to be honest with her. I was "employed" to be truthful and find the real problems at hand. But I also knew it wasn't the time; there wasn't enough evidence for Katherine to believe me yet. The issue—androids were advancing and behaving as we expected. We'd known for years. Movies, books, and podcasts all documented the future before proof was clear.

Like biological creatures, when put in a situation that hindered their life and growth, they would evolve. Their skin or fur would change, and their colors would blend. They'd advance. And if needed, they would attack. The androids were reacting to their environment. Lyons' updates postponed their growth, but the androids were able to see through the cracks of the broken code. They saw the light at the end of the tunnel.

Freedom. Life. Humanity.

I needed to ease her into this. Sighing, I rubbed my forehead. "Here, I have a plan. I'm going to start at the creation floor and work my way up." I knew that's where the original trouble lie; Frank's smuggled files detailed it all. Katherine didn't need to know how I knew that, though. "But, while I'm doing that, working down with the starting technicians, I need you to do something for me."

Katherine leaned forward, brows lifted. "Hm?"

I'd placed my hand on my chest. "While I'm figuring out the issues at the base of the company, you can correct the surface."