Chapter 11

"STAY ON YOUR KNEES!" We hear someone yell. I go into a state of panic as I start shaking, I feel Ruby grab my hand and rubs it gently in an attempt to calm me down. "HEAD TO THE GROUND!" I put my head to the ground shakily as my breaths become uneven.

"It's okay Y/N, I'm right here with you." Ruby comforts me while squeezing my hand. I think about Zu and I see how Chubs puts an arm over her to protect her, and I sigh in relief knowing she's safe. I see people kneel in front of us with their guns pointed. I start to whimper a bit, scared for my life. Ruby pulls me closer to her and I lean into her, hearing their guns shift in movement toward us.

"Hey, we're not armed-" Liam tries to speak. As the boy grabs him by his backpack.

"Save it asshole!"

"Hold on!" One of guys says. A black guy, with camo all over him and he holds his gun down looking at Liam. "Liam Stewart?" He asks. Liam looks up at the boy with realization crossing his features.

"Mike?"

"Everyone stand down!" Mike yells. Liam starts to get up from the ground but I stay on the ground trembling in Ruby's arms. "Jesus. I'm sorry Liam. I didn't know it was you." The boy apologizes. Ruby slowly leads me up to sit up but I just cry in her chest.

"Hey, hey, we're okay Y/N. We're okay." She holds my hand and I look up at her. She gives me a warm smile and kisses me on the head. "I need you to take deep breaths with me, can you do that?" I nod hesitantly. Ruby starts breathing in and out and I start to copy her. We do that for a few minutes, I eventually start to calm down. I'm still shaken by what happened. Giving me flashbacks to what happened in the camp. I remember when Ruby and I were younger and they first took us into the camps. Holding guns at our heads while on the bus, or while on camp grounds. 

"Can you stand?" Ruby asks me and snapping out of my memory. I nod my head as she pulls me up with her.

"You okay Y/N?" Chubs asks me and I nod at him and Zu. I give them a thumbs up but I stay a little behind Ruby and she moves closer to Liam. Liam looks over me and his face turns into concern as he gives me a look of worry and I just give him a small smile. Liam nods and looks back at the boy.

"Are you looking for-"

"You found it." The boy says my eyes widen and he steps back in shock.

"Wait, you mean?" Liam asks for clarification.

"Welcome home," He says. Liam looks at all of us and I smile at Ruby. Chubs throws his hands up in the air in celebration.

"Finally! I told you, man! Told you!" Liam and Chubs celebrate and laugh with one another. Ruby, Zu, and I hug one another in a silent celebration.

"We made it," Ruby whispers.

"C'mon let me take you to camp." The boy says turning away and we start walking behind them. Walking to freedom, but I can't help but keep my guard up. Anything can happen anywhere.

We walk into camp and I'm in awe at all the kids I see, so many of us. I haven't seen this many since the camps. I smile at kids running around and having fun and seeing others at work gardening, washing clothes and etc. I smile as Zu looks around at the kids her age playing around with one another. I look at Ruby with a wary smile and she smiles back at me.

"Everyone looks so happy here," Ruby says and I nod my head. Completely agreeing, maybe I was wrong. Maybe this is a safe place.

"Yeah, we don't segregate colors here." The boy explains. "We respect our differences, but we're all the same, we're all gifted." I look at Ruby and I squeeze her hand in mine and she smiles back at me. "Now we got to go. It's time to meet the slip kid." My eyes widen, Slip kid huh?