John nodded his head. “Yes, Alana. They will kill ya. They’d kill me, but I think they’re not sure who knows the formula—Sherlock or me. But, you’re just in the way if they find you. Rawlings works with the witness protection; he knows about these things and he’ll keep you safe.”

Tears falling from her eyes, Alana cried, “And who’ll keep you safe? John, don’t do this to me—to us. You’re everything to me; I would willingly die beside you!”

Clasping her face in his hands, John said, “I know, I know you would. But, I wouldn’t want that. I want to keep you safe, you deserve it. Do that for me. Go with Rawlings when he leaves. I’ll be safe, don’t worry about me.”

Shaking her head, Alana managed a trembling smile. “Then you don’t know me at all, John Watson. I will be thinking and worrying about you every day until we see each other again.”

“Then, we’ll see each other again,” John assured, kissing her lightly on the forehead. A tear dripped from his eyes and his heart twisted in an aching pain that made it difficult from him to breathe.

“Is this goodbye, then?” Alana asked, wrapping her arms around John’s neck. “Please, say that it isn’t!”

John didn’t answer, he just held her, wishing that it wasn’t true. But he knew what was best for Alana, he knew he had no more power over her safety. Whispering into her ear, he promised, “When this is over, look for me when I come for you. I don’t care how long it is until we see each other again, but I will make it happen. All right?”

“Don’t say those things; you make it sound like it’ll never happen.” Alana kissed John on the lips and didn’t break until they heard a knock on the door.

“Rawlings’s leaving,” Sherlock informed.

“Thank you, we’ll be ready in a moment,” John replied.

Wiping away her tears, Alana stood up and bravely walked to the door. Before leaving, she looked over her shoulder and said mournfully, “I wish there was something I could leave you with.”

Standing up, John went over to her and kissed her again. “Is there anything I can say to you?”

“Just tell me you love me, John Watson.” She placed a hand behind his neck and pulled him in for their final kiss before she opened the door and disappeared down the hall.

John made to follow her before Sherlock grabbed him by the arm and pulled him back. “Don’t prolong it, John.”

“Let go of my arm, Sherlock,” John commanded, keeping himself from throwing a hard right hook at his friend’s exposed temple.

Before either could say another word, the sound of Rawlings’s car engine started and the wheels crunched over the leaves and soon, just like Alana, faded into the distance.

Sherlock released John’s arm and said in an unaffected voice, “You did the right thing, John. Alana would’ve gotten in the way and perhaps killed. Rawlings did open his mouth to a few things we should be aware—,”

“Shut it, Sherlock!” John interrupted. “Why do you do that? When you obviously know that—, why should I tell you anything? You won’t understand. You’re calloused and care about nothing but this stupid case. In case you don’t know this, this is, or was, the last time I’ll ever see Alana. I’ve sent her away to be kept hidden from the public. They’re going to change everything about her: her name, age, birthplace, and even her face. But you won’t understand all of that except from some stupid scientific point of view because you’ve never loved anyone with all of your heart.”

Sherlock remained silent for a moment before responding with a simple, “I would rethink your final words, John. Perhaps I have my own reasons to protect the people I care about.” He shouldered past John and felt his way around the cabin until he found a secluded spot to think by himself.

John let out a shuddering sigh and looked through a cracked window to where he had last seen Rawlings’s car. Knowing he couldn’t change anything now, the doctor dropped his hands by his side and straightened his shoulders. He always brought back the military stance whenever he felt his emotions getting in the way. Slowly, he trudged back to the room he had just been in and sat down on the cot.

Looking around at the spot Alana had been at, he wished she had left something behind for him. But there was none. Her memory was all he had. John knew the truth—he would never see her again. He might as well think of her as dead because any future contact with her could put her in danger. Covering his face with his hands, he wept.

Sherlock, on the other hand, sat on the cold floor, pondering the new information Rawlings had given him. “How did they find out about Rawlings? Where could they possibly get the information?” Sherlock’s thumbs twirled and pieces from the conversation he had just had with Rawlings began piecing together the answer. I got a letter from ‘The Axis’, or, a woman named Evangeline D’ Nor. It read, ‘you have a weak force’, echoed the agent’s voice. I was told to keep quiet, but there’s nothing I can do now. It’s your game now, Sherlock.

“What did he mean by that?” Sherlock asked himself. “He must’ve gotten himself into something deep, or, he made a mistake and doesn’t want to feel responsible. And ‘weak force’, what could that be? Must be someone who doesn’t respect me enough to keep me a secret; someone who knows me, but isn’t fond of me. The Russians are smart, but so is The Axis. The Axis would know more about Rawlings than they would of my friends. Moriarty would’ve obviously sided with the Russians. So, the Russians would know about my friends—,” Sherlock’s face tensed up at the only possible answer to his question. “Anderson. They got to Lestrade in London. Either Anderson or Donovan gave me away.” Putting his hands into the prayer position, he placed them against his chin.  “Ah, that’s why Rawlings is bowing out. The Russians went to him to tell him to lay low. At last! The real chase has begun.”