Jab we spent time together

Kiara's POV

Once Aditi and I had talked about all the preparations that were left for the wedding, she quickly fell into a deep sleep, and I could not stop tossing and turning.

SLEEP, WHERE ARE YOU??

Tiptoeing out of the room so that Aditi would not wake up, I decided to go out and watch the television.

Oye, who is in the pool outside?

Wait, is it a thief? Ayy, but why would a thief swim in the pool? Kuch bhi, Kiara!

I opened the door and stepped out into the backyard. He had just finished a lap when he became aware of my presence. He looked up while he stroked his wet hair. As he exited the pool, my eyes trailed the water dripping down slowly from his sharp jawline to his collarbone to his abs. Suddenly, the temperature had started to rise in the middle of winter.

"Kiara, why aren't you asleep?" his eyes scanned my ridiculous outfit from head to toe, and I had never felt so transparent.

Flawless. That was the only way to describe him, and here I was in a messy bun, fur slippers, with a face mask.

"I am glad you decided not to acknowledge the hideous state I am in. I could not sleep, so I thought I would make it a self-care night. Now, it's your turn. Why are you awake?" I asked, trying to make eye contact with him and not his shirtless body.

"Same reason. I couldn't sleep, and the pool looked too good to be left untouched. Also, you are far from hideous. I have always been curious to try these face masks. " he answered, putting on his t-shirt.

"Wait, really? Can I do it right now for you? Please! Anyways, both of us are trying to find a way to pass the time." I asked him.

"You know what. My boredom is getting the better of me. Yes, you can.", he told me.

"Now, I have company on my self-care night", I said, grinning

Wait, but you are too tall for me to put it easily on your face. Do you wanna do it yourself?" I asked him with furrowed eyebrows, confused as to how I was supposed to do this.

"May I?" Reyansh asked, gesturing as if he wanted to pick me up. I nodded slowly, still unable to understand what he was trying to do.

Before I could process it, his arm snaked around my waist, picked me up and placed me on the metallic black kitchen island effortlessly.

Fazed by the sudden closeness, our eyes stayed on each other.

Silence.

He stepped closer, placing his hands on either side of me.

There was barely any space left between us. He removed the strands of baby hairs that fell out of my hair bun, tucking them behind my ears. Tilting his head towards my ear, he whispered faintly, "Tit for Tat, fresa. This is for flirting with me and scaring me in the morning."

What just happened? Ofcourse Kiara, this is Reyansh Rao, my inner voice cleared my confusion.

On another note, did he just call me fresa. I immediately knew that fresa meant strawberry from my 5 years' worth of knowledge of Spanish from school.

While I was collecting my thoughts, Reyansh pulled himself away from me, stepping backwards with a smirk on his face. Speechless, I opened my mouth to say something but closed it quickly. This swiftly turned his smirk into a full-blown laugh.

"Did you just call me strawberry in Spanish, Rey? From which angle do I look like a strawberry? Also, in school, you barely even tried to pay attention. I am surprised you remember.", I claimed

"Oh, hell no. I don't remember Spanish because of school. I have clients in different countries who I talk to regularly, which is why I am polished in Spanish and French, too, he explained.

Also, with your messy hair bun and how I made you red with my closeness, te ves exactamente como una fresa. (Translation: you look exactly like a strawberry).

The blush crept right back to my cheeks after I realized the effect he had on me. Even after he had moved away from me, I could still feel the heat from how close we were.

"You know what, maybe I will leave you with your kiddish revenge and dry skin. I won't put the mask on your face."

Delusional. That's what I was. His revenge was far from anything kiddish. And his skin was anything but dry. It was perfect.

"No, no. Sorry, don't get angry. I was kidding. I still want you to put on the mask", he tried to reason.

I rolled my eyes at him and tugged his t-shirt, signing him to come closer. My fingers slowly layered his face with the mask.

"You know, as much as your antics annoy me. I missed them all these years, Rey." I whispered to him.

He looked at me earnestly, "I don't think I can ever make up for what I did. But I will try every day. I missed you too. Especially, every time I ate noodles."

I laughed, "Right, my favourite."

His eyebrows furrowed, and he asked, "But I never understood why you always shared your noodles with me when it was your favourite".

I remember why. I remember how I used to especially go up to his table during lunch to share my noodles with him even though I barely knew his friends. How my friends used to tease me that I never shared my noodles with them, only him. But he can not know that. He can not know the feelings I had for him. And he most definitely cannot know how those feelings may be coming back. Because I knew that Kiara Singh and Reyansh Rao could never be together. 

--🩵--