Jab We Hated

Kiara's Pov

"Aditiii... Meri Aditi ki shaadi hai, Ohoho Meri Aditi ki shaadi hai"  I sang cheerfully while dancing my way to Aditi who was still sleeping peacefully. 

"Oye Aditi, we have a flight to catch. We are going to Udaipur for your wedding and I am the one who is in a hurry. Chaloo! (let's go!)

Aditi jolted up from her bed, looked at the time, and screamed nearly bursting my eardrums, "Ayyy Kiara yaar. Why did you not wake me up? Shitt"

I put my hands on my hips, squinted at her, and said "Nonsense"

She laughed and immediately ran into the washroom as she saw I was already ready.

Three hours later, we were finally boarding our flight from Toronto to Udaipur. I was still shocked how both of our bosses had approved our leave for one month though we still had to work online until the wedding week.

Ugh, I have missed India so much and I am glad that we will be staying at Aditi's family Haveli. I miss Ghar ka khana (home-cooked food) so much. 

Ufff the biryani, the butter chicken, the dal makhani. Aye, haye...oye, earth to Kiara. Stop thinking about food again and fasten your seatbelt because we are landing, I scolded myself. 

As we collected our bags and reached the exit, we spotted Dev. 

Oh yes, Dev Banerjee. Our common friend from high school who back then was the most popular in our grade and now is a playback singer for Bollywood movies. He ran towards us hugging the both of us tightly.

"I missed you both so fucking much. Let's go, Saumya Aunty has been waiting for the both of you", Dev said while taking our luggage from us.

"I swear to god, Kiara. I feel like mom loves you more than me sometimes.", Aditi added.

"My innocent Aditi. I know that is 100% true" I replied, pulling her cheeks.

We sat in the car when Aditi's phone buzzed. I saw her expressions change from shocked to happy to shocked back again as she looked at me.

"Who is it, Aditi?", I asked.

"Umm. Uhh Kia...Kiara. Its Reyansh. His leave got approved. He can make it to my wedding.", she hesitated to complete the sentence.

"OMG. Reyansh is coming!" Dev exclaimed but his excitement died down as he saw the color drain from my face.

"Oh, I mean that's good news. You guys have been friends for so long, you know." I said trying to smile.

The car went silent. I looked out of the window as my mind wandered to the last time I had seen Reyansh. Reyansh Rao.

*Flashback starts*

My hips swayed as my high school friends and I grooved to Woman by Doja Cat at Aditi's 18th. Having graduated a month back, it was one of the last parties that all of us would attend before we made our way to university. 

My head turned back to where Reyansh was and my eyes lingered on him and Dhvani who was lucky enough to be dancing so close to him. They had been dating for a few months now and it hurt to look as he kissed her knowing that he will never be mine. 

We were not the best of friends but we always talked in classes, sometimes casually teasing each other and other times having deep convos in the classrooms. 

My nerdy self helped him with school work and he flirted with me not knowing that I had already fallen for him when he never would.

 We were polar opposites and...

I had accepted long back that Kiara Singh and Reyansh Rao could never be together. 

Yet we both had this understanding that we trusted each other and we had each other's back... until that party.

Feeling heartbroken at my unrequited feelings, I made my way through the crowd to get myself a drink when I saw Dhvani approaching me. 

She smiled and whispered "I saw you dance with Reyansh earlier and I saw the way you look at him but he is never going to be yours, Kiara. Never." 

I knew better than to argue with her so I let her walk away. As she walked past me, her ankles twisted. I reached out to hold her shoulder to stop her from falling but it was too late.

"DHVANII", Reyansh screamed as she hit her back on the table behind

I looked up at Reyansh's concerned expression as he made his way toward us.  I tried to pick Dhvani up but Reyansh pulled her from me shooting a glare at me.

He picked her in her arms and laid her on the sofa telling his friend to make sure she is okay.

He turned his head to me and said, "Kiara, what the fuck were you thinking? Why did you push her?" pulling the attention of Aditi, Dev, my friends, and everyone else at the party towards us as they gathered around.

I was baffled at that blame when I realized he was mistaken.

"No, no that is not true. I was trying to help her. I was trying to stop her from falling", I tried explaining.

"Stop lying. I saw everything, Kiara", Reyansh said, still glaring at me.

"What are you saying, Reyansh", Aditi defended me

"This is Kiara we are talking about. You know she can never hurt anyone purposely...", Dev added.

Reyansh interrupted Dev and stated, "Yes, that is what I also thought. But come on Kiara, I was too blind to see it but Dhvani already told me that you have eyes on me. You have feelings for me and are jealous of Dhvani which is why you pushed her. She warned me about you but I did not listen to her"

She had manipulated him.

My eyes watered at that allegation as they all looked at me for an answer. 

Everyone knew I did not argue with people. Everyone knew I did not confront people or raise my voice unnecessarily but that day I mustered up the courage and said, 

"Reyansh, we have been in the same school, the same class for years and you really think I did it? I would never stoop so low. I can't just stand here and let you blame me. You know what, Fuck you, Reyansh. Fuck you." 

I turned back and ran out of Aditi's house unable to stop the tears.

That was the last time I had seen him. 

Six years ago. 

Soon after, we had unfollowed each other on Instagram yet I saw him on our mutual friends' stories from time to time. 

I made my way through college hating the bitter ending to us finally leaving my feelings for him behind.

*Flashback ends*

"KIARA! KIARA! HELLO!! Where did you get lost?", Aditi shook me back from my time travel to the past. 

"Oh nothing, I was just thinking about how I am going to steal my would-be Jiju's shoes (brother-in-law) " I replied

"You better include me in this plan, Kiara", Dev said.

"We will see", I replied, grinning back at him.

My mind kept going back to the fact that I will see Reyansh again after all these years. How would it go? Does he still blame me? Will my feelings be back? 

No, I could never have feelings after what he did because after that day I was certain, Kiara Singh and Reyansh Rao could never be together. 

--🩵--