Chapter V

Timothée
November 30, 1975

Lilli and Génie's giggles could be heard under the table. Any time footsteps would approach they would beckon each other to quite but so far, they had been discovered by one of the maids. "Cheeky little ones," she smiles, "so it was you giggling all about like mice. Miss Liana has been looking everywhere for you two."

As if on cue, her voice came. "Bathong! Ha ke ba fumane."

With her sketchbook clutched at her chest with one hand, Génie raised her index finger to her lips. Mrs Angie shook her head and continued her task of setting the table but kept quiet.

"Have you searched everywhere?"

"Mme Angie, I even searched the ceiling. Ha ke li fumane." She repeated.

They heard the older woman laugh. "And what makes you think they would be in the ceilings?"

"How am I supposed to know where they could possibly hide in? For all I could know, they could be in a mouse hole!"

Génie slapped Lilli's mouth before she could reveal their true hiding spot while stifling her own fit of laughter. Soon, several feet started approaching and Mrs Angie beckoned the young maid.

"Go and fetch the rest of the plates," she said. "We'll look for them later."

"I was hoping we could go golfing." A distinct voice they had come to recognize as Mr Van Der Walt spoke. "But this funny weather had other plans."

They heard their father let out a chuckle, proposing they could settle for a good old game of chess instead or stop by at the nearest bar.

When they sat down, they tried distinguishing which feet belonged to their father. But that was no challenge at all since they could tell what colour shoes he liked wearing which always had been black. He vowed never to settle for brown for some instances unless he had no absolute choice. Lilli crawled towards him, biting her bottom lip in attempt of suppress the oncoming giggles.

She stopped when her wrist was tugged by her sister, a silent plea to wait for her and she did. They both stalked towards their father. Lilli softly grabbed the end of his suit pants, tugging gently. It resulted to him moving his foot to face a different position.

"Liana, see if you can find scotch in the wine cellar."

"Yes, Baas."

"Isn't it a bit too early to drink?"

Mr Van Der Walt chuckled. "It's never too early for a good scotch."

Another pair of feet approach, although they had lighter footsteps and each step a clink sounded. "I was thinking of making and bringing chicken salad to the ladies gathering, what do you say, liefie?"

"That sounds lovely. I'm sure they would love it." Answered Me Van Der Walt.

"Mhm. I thought so, too."

Génie followed her sister's movements before shuffling behind her.

The older girl peaked her head and saw her father had been too emersed in the local paper that came in today. Her brunette curls hung messily around her round face as she swiped a few strands away from her eyes before pouncing on his leg. "Boo!"