I Need A Job

I plop down in the library with Natasha but I don't take out my biology book. I place my face in my chin and sigh loudly.

"What's wrong?" She asks.

"I need a job. Gas is getting really expensive and I can't keep relying on my mom to give me money."

She glances at me briefly before looking back at her notebook. "Isn't Logan like, extremely wealthy?"

I shake my head, "I'm not mooching off of my boyfriend, Tasha. I need to make my own money."

"Well Starbucks is hiring."

I bite the insides of my cheek while I consider it. Logan and Nathan got along great at dinner. Besides, I really need a job and what better place to work than Starbucks?

"I'm gonna go fill out an application right now," I say, picking up my bag.

"You're skipping?" Natasha asks bewildered.

"This is free period," I quote Logan as I pick up my phone. "But if anyone asks tell them I have really bad cramps and I'm on the verge of exploding."

She laughs as I rush out of the library. I need to make it there and back before my next class.

When I get in the car, I stick the key into the ignition. I tap the steering wheel rhythmically to a popular song on the radio. When I turn into the Starbuck's parking lot I catch a glimpse of Nathan in the window. I unbuckle my seat belt and hop out. The wind smacks against my face and I tighten my cardigan around myself.

"Hey! Bella!" Nathan leans onto the counter and smiles that wide smile at me. I can't help but smile back. "What can I get you? Iced mocha? Extra whipped cream?"

"Oh Nathan, you know me so well," I laugh and hand him the money. "I'm gonna need an application with that coffee."

He doesn't hesitate. He stops crushing ice and pulls out an application from a file on the counter. "You're interested in working here?"

I brush my hair out of my face and sigh. "Yeah. It's about time. I don't know how I managed to go this long without working."

He sets a pen down in front of me and I glance behind me to make sure there isn't a line.

"I could put in a good word for you. Although there's a 50/50 chance I could be lying because I have no clue about your work ethics."

"Shhhh," he laughs at my attempt to shush him. "Are there cameras around? I think you just sabotaged my chances."

He hands me the iced mocha and shoos me away when a customer walks in. I smile and sip my coffee.

I breeze through the application and my coffee. I hand it back to Nathan and before I can leave he grabs my hand.

"You'll hear back from us within ten business days," he says, mock serious.

I laugh and gently pull my hand out of his grasp. "Good to know. Hey I gotta get back to class. Catch you later?"

"Sure, sure," he smiles one last smile before darting back to business.

I speed through the streets without going ten miles above the speed limit and pull into the school's parking lot. I have two minutes to make it to class.

I grab my bag and race into AP Spanish. I sit down just as Mrs. Gonzales shouts my name. Good thing her back is facing the door.

"Here!" I try not to breathe heavy or pant.

When she moves on to the next name I sigh in relief.

"Where were you?" Zahra, Zoey's twin sister, asks me.

I turn and see Logan in the back of class. I give him a small wave and he waves back before blowing me a cheesy kiss. I pretend to catch it and then turn back to Zahra.

"Filling out an app at Starbucks."

Her eyes brighten and she sits up. "Do you think you'll get the job?"

I shrug. "I hope so. I really need the money."

I really need the money.