A Trip Outside

Eliza:

My head rested on the metal table. My pointer finger was beginning to feel cold and numb, so I set my fear aside and slipped off the Oximeter. I'd kept it in my other hand, ready to sneak the clip back on my finger the second another person walks in. I knew where I was: the Phoenix Foundation. I met Matilda Webber, she was literally 4 feet tall. I had met many new faces, none of which I remember. I merely remember the feeling they gave me. Anxiety.

There were no windows in this room, because of that, I couldn't stop my leg from shaking. Not when I was alone, at least. I took pride in how I was able to hide my anxiety from others. If it wasn't for their decision to track my heart-rate, I doubt they would know I have it.

A click of the door and my head snapped up, placing the Oximeter back onto my finger as planned.

A tall man with piercing blue eyes entered the room and stood at the corner. Distancing himself.

"Hi, I'm MacGyver," he swallowed. "Can I sit?"

I nodded. The heart monitor sped up as he approached. I mentally cursed myself for not being able to control its constant thumping. I didn't want MacGyver to misunderstand my body's reaction. I didn't fear him; I was drawn to him. His blue button-up shirt couldn't hide his muscular form, on anyone else I would be intimidated. Terrified. But with MacGyver, I felt protected. To be clear, I have never met this man. But I have this unexplainable feeling that I have known him for years. He feels familiar, trustworthy.

He stilled for a moment but, after listening to who I assumed to be Riley in his ear-sized intercom, took a seat across from me.

"I'm Eliza," I mentioned, delayed to his earlier introduction.

His lips tilted up at my response. I assumed MacGyver already knew my name, but I thought it was polite.

He patted his hands on his legs, clicking his tongue. "Do you need anything? I could get you water or a snack,"

I opened my mouth, "uh," I was embarrassed, but sure to have another panic attack if I didn't at least see outside. "There are no windows..."

He looked to the corner of the room, where the camera was. The gears behind his crystal blue eyes were turning, I could observe him for hours.

He bit his bottom lip and stood, "Come on," he removed the ear-piece, held it up for the camera to see, and set it on the table. "Don't start." He warned, as if someone would beginning complaining, "I'll bring her back". The man walked to the other side of the table. The heart monitor started beeping aggressively, again.

A heavy breath escaped his lungs as he contemplated his next move. He didn't want to scare me. In all honesty, my body was trembling but my soul felt safe.

"We're going outside." MacGyver reached a hand out to me. I flinched.

"Sorry," I breathed. I hated my body for always reacting before I even thought to do so.

He cleaned his throat, lowering his arm, "you can take off the Oximeter."

I followed him out of the room, the room I spent the past couple days trapped in. Taking that single step from that boxed-cage, I began to feel at ease. That was, up until a man and two women were approaching down the same hallway we entered. Doubts of whether or not the stranger would attack me came swarming my head. In therapy, I had learned to pay attention to my surroundings. Before I could do that, I needed to be grounded. I needed to think clearly before assessing the situation. My frail arms wrapped around MacGyver's bulk one, we were shoulder to shoulder. I gripped onto him, my saving grace and stared at him as we walked. Why was I able to touch him without a single shred of fear? Truly, the only nerves I felt was the possible rejection of him pushing my away.

"We're almost there," MacGyver comforted. Once we reached the glass doors, he held the door open for us—I still hadn't let go. He hadn't either. We sat on an auburn wooden fence, next to a well-kept garden. "I know this must be really overwhelming for you, Eliza. So, let me explain. My name is Angus MacGyver and I work for the Phoenix Foundation. I've read about your situation and I can't imagine what you've gone through, what you're going through. But what I would like, if you want to as well, is to get to know you. Matty asked me to be your support person, and although she hasn't explained the title for me fully, yet. I want to be there for you. Whatever you need."

I stared, flabbergasted.

"Are you open to that?" He questioned.

I nodded, "Definitely."