Tayammum: Description and Times of Permissibility

Start from the beginning

[al-Nisa' 4:43]

Shaykh Muhammad al-Saalih al-'Uthaymeen said:

Or if he is afraid of using it or if looking for it will cause him physical harm:

If he will be physically harmed by using water and will become sick, then this comes under the general meaning of the words (interpretation of the meaning):

"But if you are ill or on a journey"

[al-Maa'idah 5:6]

For example, if there are wounds or sores on the parts of the body that are washed during wudoo', or if there are wounds or sores on all parts of the body, in the case of ghusl, and there is the fear of physical harm, then he may do tayammum.

Al-Sharh al-Mumti', 1/378, 379; Ibn Al-Jawzi editions.

But if he can put water on his skin without affecting it, then he should do so, and he does not have to rub that part of the body or go to extremes in washing it.

Shaykh Muhammad al-Saalih al-'Uthaymeen said:

Similarly he does not have to go to extremes in rinsing his nose if he has a problem in the sinuses, because in that case the water may settle there and cause an unpleasant smell and make him sick, or it may cause him some harm. It should be said to such a person: it is sufficient for you to rinse your nose until the water enters the nostrils.

Al-Sharh al-Mumti', 1/210, Ibn al-Jawzi edition.

And he said:

If a person has a sinus problem, or if going to extremes in rinsing the nose will make the water reach the sinuses and cause him pain, or if the water will turn rotten and turn to pus and so on, in this case we say to him: Do not go to extremes in rinsing your nose, so as to ward off harm from yourself.

Al-Sharh al-Mumti', 1/172. Ibn al-Jawzi edition.

If wudoo' will harm your skin or delay your recovery, then you should do tayammum, and there is no sin on you.

And Allaah knows best.

Source: http://islamqa.info/en/20935

Q4: Is it permissible to remove janaabah by means of tayammum?

Praise be to Allaah.

If there is a reason for doing tayammum - such as non-availability of water, or being unable to use it because of sickness etc - then tayammum takes the place of wudoo' and ghusl. So the person who is junub should do tayammum and pray, then when he finds water he has to do ghusl.

This is indicated by the Qur'aan and Sunnah.

1 - Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

"O you who believe! When you intend to offer As-Salaah (the prayer), wash your faces and your hands (forearms) up to the elbows, rub (by passing wet hands over) your heads, and (wash) your feet up to the ankles. If you are in a state of Janaaba (i.e. after a sexual discharge), purify yourselves (bathe your whole body). But if you are ill or on a journey, or any of you comes after answering the call of nature, or you have been in contact with women (i.e. sexual intercourse), and you find no water, then perform Tayammum with clean earth and rub therewith your faces and hands"

[al-Maa'idah 5:6]

So Allaah has enjoined upon us both minor and major purification, and tayammum could take the place of either of them. This was stated by Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah in Majmoo' al-Fataawa (21/396). Minor purification is wudoo' and major purification is ghusl.