Evacuation of the Graves of Two Sahabah

Though in normal cases and circumstances the dead bodies in the grave decompose and disintegrate yet there are proofs where the dead bodies of martyrs, prophets and saints have been found intact when their graves were dug.

In 1932 A.D. (1351 A.H.) the then ruling King of Iraq Shah Faisal I, dreamt that he was being addressed by Hudhaifa al-Yamani (may Allah be pleased with him), who said:

"O King! Remove Jabir ibn Abdullah al-Ansari and me from the bank of river Tigris and bury us at some safe place because my grave is already water-logged, (full of water) while Jabir ibn Abdullah al-Ansari's grave is slowly getting water-logged."

This dream was repeated again the next night but King Faisal I, did not pay attention to it on account of his pre-occupation with state affairs. On the third night Hudhaifa al-Yamani (may Allah be pleased with him) was seen in the dream by the grand Mufti of Iraq. Hudhaifa al-Yamani (may Allah be pleased with him) said to the grand Mufti: "I have been directing the king since two nights to transfer our bodies but he has not paid any heed. Tell him emphatically to arrange for the transfer of our graves!"

So after discussing this matter, the King, his Prime Minister and the Grand Mufti decided to carry out this work. It was decided that the Grand Mufti should issue a fatwa (religious ruling) on this matter and the Prime Minister will issue statement to the press, so that the public may know about this great event. It was declared that on 10th Zulhijjah after noon prayers the graves shall be opened and the holy bodies shall be transferred to another place.

As it was Hajj season, pilgrims had gathered in Makkah. They requested King Faisal I, to postpone the event for a few days so that they all could attend the event after performing the Hajj. Hence, the King postponed this event to 20th Zulhijjah.

After noon prayers, on 20th Zulhijjah 1351 A.H. a large number of Muslims and non-Muslims gathered in Baghdad, and the city was heavily crowded. First when the grave of Hudhaifa al-Yamani (may Allah be pleased with him) was opened, water was found inside. The body was lifted with a crane in such a way that it safely came on a stretcher. Then the stretcher was lifted by the King, the Grand Mufti, the Prime Minister and Prince Farooq of Egypt and brought to a glass coffin box made especially to keep the holy bodies. The body of Jabir ibn Abdullah al-Ansari (may Allah be pleased with him) was also transferred to the glass box in the same scrupulous manner.

The most marvelous spectacle was now seen by the huge crowd that had gathered to witness this great event. Both the holy bodies of these true companions (Sahabah) of Holy Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) were fresh and intact while their open eyes issued forth such divine light that the spectators' eyes were dazzled. Furthermore, their clothes were also intact and at first glance, it appeared as if these heroes of Islam were alive. The two bodies were then taken away and buried afresh near the grave of another great hero of Islam, Salman Al-Farsi (may Allah be pleased with him), in Salman Park which is 30 miles from Baghdad. This miracle amazed the scientists, philosophers and doctors. They were all bewildered and spellbound to witness this great miracle.

A German physiologist who had been showing a lot of interest in this was so impressed by the conditions of the bodies, which were buried for more than a thousand years, that he immediately came to the Grand Mufti, held up his hands and said, "What more evidence can there be in support of Islam. I embrace Islam so teach me about it!" Thus before thousands of people this German doctor became a Muslim. His example was followed by many Christians and Jews and for a long time, it continued in Baghdad and a large number of people became Muslims as a result of this miracle.