XI.I

▀▄▀▄ ▀▄▀▄▀▄ ▀▄▀▄▀▄ ▀▄▀▄▀▄ ▀▄▀▄▀▄

╰┈ Summer of 2019,
in Stavelot 🇧🇪

After our agreement, things between me and Charles have been quiet. We don't speak about anything other than his physical health. Our sessions have become daily. Morning and evening he has physical therapy. It might be not correct in many people perspectives, but he is a formula 1 driver, he needs to be on the top of his game as soon as possible, plus he took full responsibility for what could happen. Thanks to the everyday session, his shoulder has been improving a lot. He ended up 4th in Hungary.

It's qualifying day in Spa, and Charles did well, he said his shoulder felt a lot better. Afterwards it was time for the formula 2 drivers to race. While everyone was doing interviews, suddenly there was a big crash on the track. I was with Charles, doing some shoulders exercises when it happened.

When we found out who it was, we were horrified... Anthoine, one of our childhood friends was in the accident.

We went to a hotel room waiting to hear any news on Anthoine, with a few of the drivers (Charles, Pierre, Alex and Esteban). Unfortunately we later on got the news that he passed away. Everyone was devastated, Charles, Alex, Esteban and Pierre were a lot closer to him that I ever was. But the worse between them was Pierre. They were basically best friends.

"I... I think I should go." I said getting up. I think it would be better to leave them alone. And then I feel someone grab my hand. Charles... His eyes were watering and red, he looked down as he let go of my hand.

"Don't go... Stay here with us..." I wasn't going to stay but then "I'll take you home afterwards, I wanna make sure you're safe." I take a deep breath not knowing what to do. They were very vulnerable, it felt wrong for me to be there and at the same time I wanted to comfort them and feel their comfort, after all me and Anthoine did get along when we were kids.

"I-" I was cut off by my phone ringing "Lewis?"

[Hey just wanted to ask if you're alright?"

"Oh yeah, I am, thanks for asking..."

[Where are you?]

"I'm with Pierre, Alex, Esteban and Charles at a room..."

[Do you want me to take you home or are you going to stay?] I wanted to stay, but I wouldn't be helping them either way... they need time with each other, they were still all close to him, so I'll just let them be for today...

"Ok I'll meet you at the mercedes garage then, bye." I take a deep breath and hug each one at. time "I'm here for you Pierre. For all of you.". finally it was Charles turn "Lewis will take me home. I think it's better if I leave... this is a sensitive time for everyone, but mainly for you guys, so I'll talk to you guys later ok?" he slowly nods.

"Text me when you get home please... I know it's not part of our agreement but-"

"I understand Char. I'll text you." I ruffle his hair and leave.

Anthoine was a sweet soul and a great driver full of potential. Even without being in contact with him for years, things will be different without him. He will be missed.

Rest In Peace, Anthoine 🤍

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I wasn't planning on writing a chapter like this, but due to the timing of the story, I thought it wouldn't be bad to reference this tragic situation. RIP Anthoine🤍