a promised soul

it was midnight out while me and my two friends chased each other around the lit fires of loved ones who passed, ofc we were careful to not hurt their soul. my friend with the maroon hair was chasing me while my other friend with the tiny round horns hid from her. 

we had been chasing each other like seven year olds for ages now that our legs were getting tired; being raised into labor at least gave me stronger legs than them so while her legs were begging her to stop i was still running as fast as i could. i was looking behind me at natasha while she started yelling for me to stop. 

assuming she just wanted to catch me i didnt, i didnt spot until i looked forward and saw i was just a few steps away from running into a soul. 

i tried so hard to stop but it was ofc hard to stop right in that spot. i was close to it until a village person stepped in front of me with a stern look. i slammed into them, but thankfully they didnt budge and knock into the candle. 

i pushed myself away from them and looked up at their face, making an awkward face. "im sorry- im so-" he cut me off. "aren't you kids a bit too old to be playing games?" 

"hey! im 15. emphasize on the fact you said kids?." i snarled back, turning away with my arms crossed. "plays like a toddler and acts like one." i went to say something back before my friend who was in hiding came out a trash can and pulled me away. everyone was looking at her like she was crazy to be in there. 

"oh, yea, sorry! she gets a little.." she looked from side to side as she tried to conjure up a word to use, but never found one. "eh. after midnight.*  she said a awkward smile as she brought me back to natasha. 

"i am not "eh"! you should've just let me talk his ear off." i pulled my arm away from her before sitting on a bench next to natasha. "like i get it, i almost knocked over the fire, but like he insulted me." 

yu-bim just raised an eyebrow at me, looking at natasha who was massaging her legs. 

"okay, yea, i see im in the wrong.." i admitted with a sigh, laying back against the bench as i caught my breath from all the running. 

"you didnt mean to, octavia. its not like we are in trouble. youre moms are so cool and anyways, we didnt knock it over. the soul is okay and is being guided." natasha ended her sentence with one long sigh as she caught her breath. 

"thanks natasha, and yu-bim. i have to head back to my tent now." i stood up and kissed both their cheeks. "we will play again tomorrow." i added as a promise.

as i walked up i watched the flames of the fires dance, my moms culture was so pretty and i almost killed it. 

i went inside my tent to see my baby sister, arely, and human mom sleeping together in my bed. 

"they always steal my bed." i sat down at the table my other mom was sitting at, smiling at her as she dank her favourite tea.

"hey babes." she sat her cup down while she spoke, smiling at me. 

i just lifted my hand up as a little wave, i was holding her hand above the table as i yawned. my eyes were puffy and heavy from being so tired as i just relaxed in the chair. 

my mom was staring at me as if i was aofie the goddess of beauty and oceans. 

"youre so pretty baby." her tone was sweet and low, just smiling at me. i picked my head up to look at her, i was sweaty and dirty as she told me this. "thanks, momma." i replied with a chuckle. she said nothing more she just kissed my head and walked off to her and my other moms bed. 

my bed had been stolen and the only other bed was a  crib so i just fell asleep at the table. 

it was hardly 4 am when i woke up to screams and cries. my eyes were open as i looked around but refused to get up, until i heard a cat screaming and hissing as if in pain. i jumped right up, looking at my family who was just waking up with alarm. 

i ran outside to see what the noise was until i saw two people that took me a moment to recognize.