| 40 | Evolving Danger

Start from the beginning

Damon sighed and said, "Fae are extremely powerful, so if the virus has evolved to infect them, then there's no telling what else might fall victim to it." He looked at Sebastien. "I suggest you be as cautious as the rest of us when fighting cadejo from now on. And you," he said, glancing back at Wilson.

The tiger scoffed. "When have I not been cautious?"

"Come on," Jackson interjected before Damon could answer. "Stop."

Damon snarled and glared ahead. He wanted to snap at Wilson, but he was trying his best not to for Jackson. However, seeing them together lately was making him feel frustrated and aggravated. He understood that they were friends, but he was Jackson's mate, and he felt like he needed to remind Wilson of that fact.

But right now, he needed to put all of his attention into getting his pack somewhere safe.

"W-what if we come across like...infected teshika or something?" Julian asked fearfully. "I mean...a zombie dragon?"

"Yeah...I'm getting more freaked out by the second," Lalo uttered.

"Dad?" Remus asked shakily. "What if we do come across other infected lycans? W-what are we supposed to do against a teshika? I-I'm not sure if this mission is a good idea anymore."

"The mission is all that matters," Sebastien said sternly. "We've made it this far, and we're gonna keep going. We have to because it's not only the Venaticus and wolf walkers relying on us—it's everyone. It's my mate, and it's the entirety of Ascela. And God forbid this virus spreads overseas, because if it does, it'll be the entire world relying on us getting to that lab and getting what the Nosferatu need to create a cure."

Damon was worried for his son and his pack, but Sebastien was right. There were too many people relying on them getting to that lab for him to turn back. He was doing this for the people he loved above all else, and nothing was going to stop him, not Kane, and not infected Caeleste. He had to keep going.

He glanced back at his worried pack. "Listen," he called. "I know things are getting scarier by the day, but we have to keep going. There's too much riding on us; if we don't get to this lab, the entire Caeleste world could suffer. Now more than ever, we must look out for and protect each other. We must be strong, we must be wary, and we must not let the dangers wear us down."

His words improved the looks on his wolves' faces. He felt the tense atmosphere lift a little, and as he led the way, the uneasy chatter faded.

Tokala and Dustu returned ten minutes later.

"Chief, we found an abandoned hut not too far away," Tokala said.

Dustu added, "We scoured the area and didn't find any cadejo or hostiles."

The Alpha nodded. "Good. Lead the way."

Then, as Tokala and Dustu turned left, Damon and his pack followed.

Once they were settled and safe, Damon could work out his next approach. They had to be extremely cautious now—more than before—and he was going to do whatever he had to to ensure that his pack made it to the lab. He didn't want to see the world fall apart because of the cadejo virus—not if he could help it.

⥗ ❅ ⥖

| Sebastien |

The place that Tokala and Dustu found looked as though it once belonged to a hunter. An old, rusted car sat in the open garage, and the hut itself had boarded windows and half a door. It looked like it had been abandoned long ago, so at least they didn't have to worry about anyone coming home.