| 34 | Declaration

Start from the beginning

Damon hit the side of the man's face. "Shut up," he growled. Then, he looked up at Jackson. "Don't overthink it," he said, trying to assure him. "Just like Sebastien said, you've got the hang of things quickly. This will be no different."

Although his hesitant frown didn't fade, Jackson kneeled beside the grunting man.

"Just sink your fangs into his skin," Sebastien instructed. "While doing so, focus on what you want him to feel—that's pain, of course—and all we have to do is watch him squirm until he gives up and tells us what we want to know."

"And if he doesn't?" Wilson asked.

"Then Jackson bites him again," he answered.

Damon snatched Kyle's wrist with his free hand and lifted it towards Jackson.

"Get off me! What the fuck is this shit?!" Kyle yelled.

"Do it," Damon insisted.

Jackson took hold of Kyle's arm, glanced unsurely at the choking man's face, and then bit down, sinking his fangs into his skin.

Kyle screeched and convulsed, and as Damon watched Jackson's black venom ooze into the man's veins, he felt Kyle's strength waning.

It was working.

After a few moments, Kyle went silent and still. He didn't move when Damon let go, but he wasn't screaming, either.

"What did you do to him?" Tokala asked before Damon could.

Jackson let go of the man's arm and wiped the blood from his lips. "I just...wanted him to stop fighting and answer your questions," he said with a worried frown, looking at Damon.

"Huh...nice job, kid," Sebastien said, patting Jackson's back.

Julian then stepped forward. "I, uh...I think we should hurry this up. Kane might send his other Betas to find him."

Damon didn't want to risk that happening. He glared down at Kyle's confused, dazed face. "Tell me what your Alpha is planning!"

Kyle's eyes darted from each pack member who stared at him. "I...what did you do to me?"

"What is your Alpha planning?!" Damon yelled.

The man's eyes locked with his almost like he was compelled. "A-Alpha Kane," he said slowly. "The river...."

Damon frowned. "The river?"

"Divert...here. I...." It was like he was trying to fight whatever Jackson did to him.

"Do it again," Damon instructed, shifting his sights to Jackson.

Jackson nodded and grabbed the man's arm. He sunk his fangs into him, and his venom infected Kyle's veins.

The man tensed up and groaned. He shook his head, grimacing as the veins in his neck revealed themselves, stained black with demon venom.

"Tell me what your Alpha's plan is," Damon growled, gripping Kyle's throat again.

With a pained grunt, Kyle wriggled around. "You killed...our packmates," he answered, his voice quiet and rough. "You...you didn't actually think you'd get away with it, did you?"

Damon tightened his grasp.

Kyle choked and growled. "W-we used the undead to make you cross where we wanted you to cross!"

The pack glanced at one another with confused expressions.

"You put those cadejo by the river?" Tokala asked.

"Y-yes," Kyle answered. "We...needed you in this part of the woods. We...we were waiting. We had to leave a warning...Alpha Kane's warning; we had to let you know that he was coming for you."