| 28 | Useless, Dangerous Coward

Start from the beginning

Wesley groaned in anguish, staring down at Alastor, who was struggling to breathe.

"W-Wesley," Alastor uttered. "P-please."

"There has to be something!" Wesley begged, and when his sore, teary eyes shifted to Jackson, they widened. "Y-you can do something!"

Jackson's guilt was accompanied by confusion. "I-I—"

"Y-you were bitten by one and lived, right?!" Wesley insisted.

"Wesley..." Tokala said, limping closer. "We—"

"Please!" Wesley wailed at Jackson. "C-can't you give him demon blood? Can't you make him like you?"

Everyone started setting their sights on Jackson, even Damon.

"W-Wesley," Alastor grunted. "P-please...it hurts."

"Jackson!" Wesley insisted. "Save him!"

"W-Wesley, I—"

"Just try," Wilson suddenly said, cutting Jackson off. "Some demons can make other demons."

Tokala nodded. "He's right."

"Then hurry!" Wesley begged.

Wilson ushered Jackson closer. "Come on."

Jackson stuttered and frowned. He had no idea what he was supposed to do. But he had to try. This was his fault, and if there was a chance he could save Alastor, then he'd take it.

He hurried to Alastor's side. But what the hell was he supposed to do? He frowned, panicked, and stared at Alastor's bite. The brown-furred Eta was shivering and grunting, and Jackson didn't know how long he had.

What turned a human into a vampire? Blood, right?

Jackson shifted into his human form and extended his demon claws from his fingernails. Then, he cut his hand and let the blood drip into Alastor's mouth.

Everyone edged nearer.

"Alastor?" Wesley murmured, patting his neck with his paw.

"Did it work?" Julian whispered.

"Alastor?" Damon asked while Remus turned his head and pulled his face away from the Alpha's fur so that he could see what was going on.

Alastor's pained grunts faded, and his twitching body calmed.

Jackson's face lit up, and his heart started racing harder. Did it work? Was his blood saving Alastor?

"Alastor?" Wesley urged.

The brown-furred Eta flinched.

Everyone started murmuring his name with hope in their voices.

Even Jackson felt hopeful.

Was it actually going to—

Alastor convulsed and snarled.

Everyone but Jackson and Wesley backed off cautiously.

Wesley frowned and anxiously asked, "Alastor, can you hear—"

Alastor abruptly lunged at Wesley with his teeth bared.

"Wesley!" Dustu shrieked and pulled him away from Alastor before he could latch his jaws around him.

"Everyone get back!" Damon yelled, pulling Remus and Jackson with him as he moved away from Alastor.

Everyone stared in horror as Alastor climbed to his paws; his eyes were crimson, he was snarling and twitching, and it looked like Jackson's blood had only made him turn faster. There was no emotion on his face, and black goop oozed from his maw.