| 14 | Kingslake Pass

Start from the beginning

Jackson didn't remember that. The only comment he did remember making that might be aimed at Wilson being a tiger was when he said that Wilson could carry him on his back through Greykin to get to the lab.

"We're all set, chief," Tokala said.

As he glanced at the pack, Jackson saw that they all had their bags on. Rachel, who hadn't shifted yet, made her way over with his bags. She helped get them on him, and once they were secure, she shifted into her wolf form.

"Wait, so...can we as wolf walkers talk to other Caeleste in our wolf forms, but not other wolf walkers unless they're in the same pack?" Jackson questioned, looking at Damon.

"We can talk to other lycans," Damon told him as he started leading the way forward.

"Lycans?"

Wilson appeared at Jackson's other side. "Yeah, like wolf walkers, muto tigris, muto leo—"

"Leo?"

"Lions," Tokala called from behind them.

Jackson frowned curiously. There were lion shifters, too? "Just...how many animal shifters are there?"

"A fair few," Damon answered before Wilson could speak. "But we aren't going to come across any of them out here."

Wilson scoffed. "Aren't we? I mean, I'm out here."

Damon glared over at him. "No one was talking to you."

"Actually, Jack—"

"Is it all just big cats?" Jackson interjected. He could already tell that Wilson didn't like Damon, and Damon didn't like him. The last thing he wanted right now was to be caught in the middle of their argument.

But neither of them answered him. They kept glaring at each other on either side of him.

"No," came Tokala's voice.

Jackson looked back at him and the rest of the pack.

"From what I know, the shifters classed as lycans are those who have no choice but to shift on either a certain phase of the moon or time of the month," the orange wolf explained.

"So, it's not just wolf walkers who have to shift on the full moon?"

Tokala shook his head. "Loup-garou, which are an ancient species of shifter; they look a lot like Alpha Damon's Prime form. They're a lot stronger than wolf walkers, though. They were mistaken a lot for rogue Alphas a long time ago. It looks like they went extinct during the war, though."

"What about berserkers?" Julian asked as they walked to Tokala's right side. "They're classed as lycans, right?"

The Zeta wolf nodded. "They're...a different case. They're not forced to turn on the full moon, but the full moon makes them weaker. It's on the hunter's moon that they're forced to shift. That's the first full moon after the Harvest moon; it's a super-lunar event that falls between Decem and Undecim."

Fascinated, Jackson fell back so that he was no longer walking between Damon and Wilson and was instead walking between Tokala and Julian.

"Sleuths," Tokala then said.

"What?" Jackson questioned.

The orange wolf laughed a little. "That's our next lycan. They look like huge mountain lions; maybe a little smaller than us. They have to shift each quarter moon."

"What about the tigers?"

"All the muto lycans have to shift every new moon," Wilson said, walking beside Julian. "The new moon is all about new beginnings and setting clear intentions, acknowledging your growth since the previous new moon—"