Chapter 19: Temptations

Start from the beginning

Her body was hot and feverish. Desperate for more. She couldn't stay still, shifting restlessly against him. Sam continued to lavish attention on her breasts while one of his hands travelled up her stockinged leg. Once he reached the bare skin above the cloth, they both froze. This was another step beyond what they had ever done before. Propriety had left a long time ago, but somehow it felt as if they were about to cross an invisible line. One they could never uncross.

Sam leaned back to meet her gaze. His hazel eyes were dark and hooded, making him look extra wicked in the flickering candlelight. Her nipples, damp from his attention, puckered to tight beads in the evening air flowing in from an open window. Warm heat pooled between her thighs, making her move against him, chasing a release he had not yet offered her.

The way his fingers traced a light pattern on the sensitive skin of her thighs made it difficult to think about much else. He was so close, and yet so far away, from where she craved his touch. She shimmied her bottom again and was rewarded by the pressure of his hardness against her through the fabric of his trousers. He let out a strained groan.

"You are far too tempting," he breathed. "I wish I could do all the wicked things I've been dreaming of with you, but..." His voice trailed off and he shook his head slightly.

"Let's not dwell on what we can and cannot do right now." She didn't want to think about the future. About her season in London or Sam leaving her. She wanted to focus on the feel of him against her. The scent of his soap. The cadence of his breath. "Let's enjoy tonight, and then we will see what tomorrow brings."

A shadow crossed over his face—they both knew what lay ahead—but he nodded. She bent forward to press her mouth against his, and he immediately reciprocated the kiss, fanning the flames between them. Placing his hands on her hips, he slid her backwards on his legs, spreading her legs wider. She pulled away, her mouth agape. With the skirt of her dress pulled up to the top of her thighs, and her bodice and stays pooling around her waist, she was as indecent as she had ever been in front of a man. In front of anyone.

Sam's hands ran up her thighs, pushing the skirt even higher, revealing her to him. Warmth filled her cheeks, but she didn't try to push the fabric back down or move on his legs. Instead, she waited to see what he would do next. He lifted his left hand to bury it in the hair at the back of her neck, pulling her down for a fierce kiss that sent another surge of heat to the apex of her desire.

When his other hand slipped between her thighs, she inhaled sharply. No one had ever touched her there. Every part of her focused on the sensations his fingers evoked. She gripped his shoulders harder as he slipped a finger into her heated core, thrusting gently as he drew pleasure from her body. His thumb rubbed against her most sensitive part, and she whimpered with the need for release.

She wanted to writhe, to push closer to him, but his powerful legs between hers kept her where she was. He continued stroking and caressing her, each motion bringing her closer and closer to completion. Every movement of his fingers pushed her further towards that threshold, while his mouth devoured hers in hungry kisses.

Nothing existed outside of this moment. No season in London. No surprise set of parents. Only Sam and the wonderful pleasure he coaxed from her body.

Abandoning her mouth, he captured a nipple in his mouth and sucked, sending a sharp jolt of desire through her. She threw her head back with a loud moan as her body tensed before finally hurtling over the edge in a flash of bright light.

As she came down from the high, Sam pulled her close and circled her with his arms. He gently caressed her back as she rested her head against his shoulder while catching her breath. Her body felt warm and languid, and she could easily have fallen asleep right there in his embrace.