Chapter 8: Afternoon Meetings

"Is it true?" Eleanor 'Nell' Ainsworth leaned a little closer on the picnic blanket set out in Olivia's garden. They finally had their weekly Bluestocking meet-up, and with the summer weather being so good, Olivia had opted for a garden picnic. "Is the infamous Dash actually coming to Ravenscroft's ball?"

Ivy, who had been busy daydreaming about the kiss she had shared with Sam the previous evening, looked up from her cup of tea. "Dash is coming?"

Everyone's eyes turned to Olivia. Sitting at the top of the blanket with her teacup, she paid an inordinate amount of attention to the way her spoon stirred the tea. "That's what I've heard," she mumbled, strangely calm in the face of such a revelation.

"It's true," Alice Burton confirmed. Considering that she was Ravenscroft's cousin and stayed at Wilborne Hall with him and his mother, she was the font of information they all needed. "Several of Ravenscroft's friends already arrived the day before yesterday for supper. No Dash yet, though, but several other eligible bachelors. I think my aunt is hoping one of these men might take an interest in me, but I rather hope she's wrong because I'm quite looking forward to a season in London next year."

"If you fall in love with one of them and marry them, you will attend the season next year anyway," Nell pointed out with a slight smile.

Alice grinned. "Yes, but it's not the same. Is it bad of me that I want the attention given to a single young lady? My parents could never afford a London season and my dowry is not much to brag about, but I still want the experience of dancing with eligible bachelors and flirting with handsome rakes. I imagine it would be quite different if I was already a married woman when I first arrived."

"Probably," Olivia admitted. "As someone who has enjoyed three seasons in London, I can say that it is a lot of fun. And do not worry, you are sure to be a great success, even without a dowry."

They all nodded their agreement. Alice was stunningly beautiful with a face that could have belonged to a carefully crafted porcelain doll. Her thick, blonde hair and grey eyes in a shade that resembled the sky on a rainy day perfected the picture. Men would fall over themselves in their haste to make a good impression on the beautiful young woman.

Alice grabbed Olivia's hand. "Will you please stay with me when I go? It is all rather daunting."

"Of course. I'll be with you every step of the way." Olivia smiled, squeezing her friend's hand reassuringly.

The stab of jealousy at the idea of her friends leaving Tilbury to see something else while she had to remain was smaller for Ivy today. She still wanted to see what was beyond the village, but the excitement of whatever was happening between her and Sam was taking some of the sting out of the knowledge that she was most likely stuck where she was.

"That is unless you marry Dash before then," Alice said with a big grin. "Who knows what might happen at the ball the day after tomorrow?"

Olivia's cheeks heated, and she stared down at the cup in her hands. Ivy wished she could help her friend. It must be so difficult to be in love with someone for such a long time, with no reciprocation. Despite their friends' encouragement, she couldn't help but doubt that anything would ever happen between Olivia and this man. If he had any interest in her, surely he would have made a move by now?

Sam certainly had not waited. Her own cheeks burned until they must be matching Olivia's as she remembered their kiss again. Part of her wanted to tell her friends about this amazing new development, but another part of her wanted to keep it private, at least for a little while longer. A secret. Something only she and Sam knew.

"If not, I'm sure Olivia will find someone better." Nell picked up a scone and broke it into pieces, putting one in her mouth. "From what she's told us, he's quite the rake."