13-Future

a/n: I'M BACK

a/n: I'M BACK. ALSO REO HOMOPHOBIC CANON ^^

˚₊‧꒰ა ☆ ໒꒱ ‧₊˚

If you've been inside a doctor's office you know that there's a certain air about the place. The cold breeze from the air-conditioning that makes you regret wearing short sleeves and the uncomfortable, almost sterile, smell that hangs in the air adding to the already anxiety-inducing visit. I've always hated doctor's visits, and today was no exception.

I was sitting next to my mom anxiously tapping my foot against the tiled floor. I was waiting for her to say something...anything...about what the doctor had just announced to us before leaving the room. She carelessly exhaled, blowing smoke into my face as her lips momentarily separated from the cigarette that was pinched between her two fingers. Leave it to my mom to smoke a pack inside a hospital much to my doctor's protests. I wrinkled my nose and recounted what the doctor had said. I needed surgery if I wanted my leg to heal properly. Expensive surgery. Surgery that my mom probably couldn't afford to pay- not that she would want to pay even if she could.

"No," my mom said before blowing more smoke in my face, as if to add insult to injury.

"Mom please! You have to let me get surgery!" I pleaded, "if it doesn't heal properly I'll be left with a limp for the rest of my life!"

"Yes I heard what the doctor said," she hissed, "and I don't care, it's to much money"

I clenched my fists. I knew that yelling would do me no favors in trying to win this argument but I was so angry. I knew I wasn't on the best of terms with my mother, but I figured she still cared about me a little, even if she didn't show it. "How am I supposed to play soccer if I can even walk properly- I'll lose my scholarship!"

"Beats me," I could almost feel my heart shatter at her indifference to my situation. I guess I was going to finally have to come to terms with the fact that she truly didn't love me at all anymore. I guess I had wasted years letting myself believe that a tiny part of her still cared.

I knew I couldn't just keep managing my school's soccer team forever. The principal expected me to be up and ready to play soccer again by next year maximum. I was essentially fucked if I couldn't get this surgery. I wouldn't be able to play soccer anymore, I wouldn't be able to keep my scholarship at Hakuho, and if I couldn't put such a prestigious high school on my admissions I had no chance of getting enough financial aid to attend college, and I wouldn't even be able to walk normally for the rest of my life. My entire life was going to be ruined because my mom refused to pay for surgery. "Mom please. If you still care about me even a little bit just...please let me get this surgery! Dad made that emergency account at the bank for me before he passed- it might not be much but it can probably pay for the majority of the surgery!"

"The money in that account is gone"

My face paled. The money was gone? The money that my late father had set aside for me, of what little he could afford to put in, was gone? "W-what?"

"I spent it so just stop your whining and give it up," she exhaled once again and then pressed the tip of her now finished cigarette against the skin of my arm as if she couldn't be bothered to find an ashtray to extinguish the low flame. I flinched and yanked my arm away feeling the pain from the burn sting my skin, "maybe now with all that free time you'll have from not going to such a demanding school you can get a job and stop being so fucking useless around the house"

I gripped my wrist trying to distract myself from the hot stinging sensation in my arm. I hung my head in defeat staring at the tiled floors of the doctor's office. It isn't fair. My future- my life was getting thrown away because my mom had spent my emergency funds left by possibly the only person in my life who had truly cared for me on god knows what. I stung knowing that the hard earned money from my dad was probably thrown down the drain to fuel my mother's addictions.

"I would hide that burn before the doctor comes back in if you don't want to be sleeping on the streets tonight," my mother hissed at me. Of course, she didn't want to get in trouble or risk cps getting called.

I rolled down my white sleeve and admitted defeat. I wanted to scream at her. Maybe just stand up to her just once. I hated it. I hated getting treated like this, and yet the only thing I could do in that moment was try not to cry. I didn't want to give her the satisfaction of knowing she hurt me. I just wanted to get away. I wanted to go home, home to my sanctuary.

Home to my Nagi.